Monday, August 15, 2005

Weapons of Mass Hydration


The battlefield sat in silence as the anticipation built. The troops joked among themselves with typical nervousness, for they knew that the enemy would soon strike. As they took their positions and scouted out the enemy positions plans were formulated. As is typical in battlefield situations, there were orders being given to the troops as they were being rallied. Instructions were given as messenger torn up and down the battlefield in their motorized vehicles, trying to get to the entire strike force in order to co-ordinate the massive effort.

The forces took their final positions in their formations and dug in for the final assault. The people lined a filed in two opposing lines that stretched over hundreds of feet, manning crates of balloons preparing for a version of saturation bombing that even the UN would approve of. The commanders looked over the battlefield with guarded optimism as final preparations were made. Ammunition stores were secured and verified and then it was time. The peaceful and friendly chatter was torn asunder by the blast of an airhorn and all hell broke loose. There was a barrage of missiles the likes of which have never been seen in our fair city ever before. Caught in the middle of the firefight, I found a deep respect for the reporters that broadcast from the battefields that dot our planet. Trying to get that video or picture while dodging fire is not as easy as you might think. And this was a controlled battlefield.

The numbers
aren't in yet but even if there were no record broken, the event was hilarious. If you ever have the opportunity to take part in a mass water balloon fight in your lifetime, take it. You've never seen anything like it. Sure I've been in ones where a hundred or so people tossed balloons but never an assault of this magnitude. Once the battle was over there was nothing left but a sea of drenched participants, laughter in the air and more rubber on the ground than a teen makeout hideout.

It was like watching a rude person spill their coffee all over themselves, you couldn't help but laugh as events unfolded. The energy and the sheer insanity of the event was just good clean fun. Every city should make this a summer prerequisite.

15 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

This is awesome!! I'm going to link to you today :)

12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mayo said...

Beautiful!

2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

How fun is that? Lucky duck.

3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

So cool.

Take Care
Michael

4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

I was going to participate, but I can't see 1 inch in front of me without my glasses. Glasses. I didn't want them getting broken. Geez. I need laser-eye surgery. I wish I was there for this balloon battle.

4:49:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

That looks like so much fun!

6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. Much better than the beer bottle fight organized by my city..

10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!

11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Now THAT looks like a good time.

And thanks for the link. :)

11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a hoot! A great way to get people laughing up a storm and cool down in those high temperatures. Don't those water balloons hurt when they hit bare skin though? (Don't suppose you're actually out there running around naked during it though eh? lol)

12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i wanna see a video!

1:53:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

That sounds brilliant

6:45:00 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Looks and sounds like a blast! I have a feeling the Swiss wouldn't be up for so much fun in one day though! ;-)

7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I think I might even be in those photos there! I'll have to look harder. I pulled out my camera, pointed it at my daughter, and nothing. I forgot to bring a new battery, so I didn't get any photos of the history inteh making. Did we break the record? Which side won the fight? I didn't stay, had snakes to take pictures with you see.

1:44:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

That looks like it was a lot of fun.

11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links