Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Nap Time


After reading about a bank in Austria that is trying to increase productivity by making daily 20 minute naps mandatory, I realized this is not new. At least here in Canada it isn't that new a concept. ATM machines have flooded our country like a tide. They are everywhere from banks themselves to convenes shops and gas stations. Banking has now become more "convenient" than ever. Unless you actually need a banker.

I think they are actually asleep most of the day and only wake up for 20 minute intervals. I have made the foolish error of trying to actually set foot in a bank at the end of a week. Apparently the service and pleasantness of the good old bank I knew and loved were washed away in the flood of technology along with the staff. My assumption is that they couldn't possibly have only one teller on staff, so the others must have been having their bank sanctioned naps.

Possibly they are stored in the vault, cryogenically frozen like a cheesy science fiction movie. When the only teller on duty begins to crack under the pressure they revive another one. This gives the patrons false hope when a second window opens up. This hope is smashed like so much fine crystal when the original teller is returned to their cryo tube for another session.

This would also account for the fact that banks seem to be way out of touch with modern customers and their needs as well. It's getting that bad that I think soon there will be wristbands given out for the bank like there are when a major concert is selling tickets.

Well I'm off with my sleeping bag to secure my place in line for this week's banking session.

Wish me luck.

15 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ah I'd LOVE to have 20 minute mandatory naps at work!!! :)

There's a commercial they're playing here about banking where the tellers staple a bar code to the customers head (for faster, easier service) then the bank tellers complain because (as she's trying to slide the guys forehead over the scanner (like in a grocery store), it won't scan. Hilarious, no? :)

9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

what about the pharmacies? are they back there TRYING the drugs first? why does it take so long to get your RX filled? are they consuming whole pizzas by themselves and watching the aliens levitate? perhaps they are napping, too.

11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I agree. You just don't get customer service anymore. I'm so tired of trying to get someone on the phone! Anywhere you call these days you through 15 minutes of recordings and pushing buttons. And I really HATE going into an office supply or computer store. I think those are some of the worst CS employees. Now, I'm not claiming all our bad, but the most I have dealt with were.

12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Celti said...

hee hee hee

In some European countries, the stores close down around the noon hour so everyone can go home for lunch and a nap! Smart peeps...

4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

you mean, they still have real people working at banks?? I thought that only happened during RRSP season...

huh. I'll have to try and find one of the "bank tellers" one day when I have nothing else to do.

10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Some banks in larger cities in the U.S. have started to penalize customers for using actual tellers. You can conduct certain transactions by ATM or Internet banking for free, but if you go into the bank and speak to an actual teller, they charge you.

That's Madness! Madness, I tell you!

12:47:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the service I got from the banks over there. It didn't bother me too much, but I noticed everything seem to take such a long time.

I'll also say although I love the bank I'm with over here, I barely EVER step foot in it...Internet banking has been amazing for me. I can pay my bills and transfer money I don't have from one account to another lol

1:30:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

that is bang on, pete.

these days when you go in bank to speak to a human (if you're lucky) you have to queue for ages.

there's always someone from a local business there as well, with about seven thousand punds in change that needs counting...every time you go in

3:19:00 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

You are so ridiculously right. I try to never, ever set foot in a bank these days. It is a world wide banking epidemic!

5:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

hey! wake up! nap time is over! time for a new blog!

12:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if they are some rockstars. Hilarious!

1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Bank are evil people .. I know that people that work there are out to get me... okay I am being paranoid... maybe I just need a nap

1:55:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

btw--excellent post. i'm fighting a nap right now!

4:22:00 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

banks here in ga. are crazy. they send tellers home on a busy day. they also keep changing tellers. when i was small my father would go to the same bank year after year and we would see the same tellers. times are changing though.

1:46:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

where are ya, pete?

4:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links