Wednesday, February 22, 2006

How Inconvenient

Now THAT'S inconvenient!
Have you ever seen someone who needs help and thought "If I wasn't going to ______ instead, I'd give them a hand"? Ever refused to help a friend or stranger because you were busy? Well today is the day to swallow your pride, put your own needs on the back burner and offer someone a hand. It's National Inconvenience Yourself Day. A day to reflect on how what we do and what we choose can affect people other than ourselves. This is a foreign concept to many these days which is sad. In an egocentric culture where success is everything it's surprising how we can ignore other to further our cause. People aren't as courteous as they once were, even here in Canada where we are known globally as nice folk. People don't hold doors for each other, they cut each other off in traffic, they yammer too loudly on their cell phones which ring in restaurants and theaters. When was the last time you helped someone carry a heavy package to their car. More importantly, have you ever offered to help only to be looked at like a freak of nature? How sad is it that when you try to be nice anymore that people are wondering what you are looking for in return?

I say we start a grassroots movement to increase the profile of this day and even make it a week instead. Imagine a whole week where people are nicer to each other when Christmas is nowhere nearby!! People letting each other into traffic, doors being held for people with stroller, heavy bags and even those with no impairment or burden! The widespread use of manners would shock at first but, maybe once we heard people saying please and thank you again it will take hold. There may be widespread civility and consideration to others ............. terrifying!

Go out of your way to give someone a hand and ignore the fact that if you get home 10 minutes late you'll miss the start of your favourite TV show. Trust me, the world will still turn and you life will likely be improved and not damaged as you think it might be.

Inconvenience may seem a burden to some, but wielded correctly, just think of the joy it could bring!

8 Comments:

Blogger sands of time said...

Yes i must admit i do that sometimes.I will make more of an effort to help even if i am busy.

9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

I'm actually shocked at how many people DO help out since I've had a kid in-tow. You know, holding doors and things when I have the stroller. But it is always good to have a week to remind us we need to LOOK OUT for people who could use our help. I think if someone doesn't help they usually aren't intentionally being mean...they usually have their head up their butt.

11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

I never help anybody, mostly because I'm completely Useless - and I'd probably end up making the situation even worse. I'm better off if I stay in bed all day.

5:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

so, ummm, would it inconvenient anyone to pay my bills today? (hint, hint)

6:06:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

sure, I could inconvenience myself to help someone out. but that would just encourage 'em to ask for more.

7:24:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Whoa, how long have I been away? I like the new(?) look of the site.
I let people in front of me in traffic. As long as they're not in luxury cars.

12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Sorry I missed this day, but I do promise to try to put a bit of inconvenience into each day if it means pausing to help someone out. Thanks for the reminder.

6:58:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

How ever do you find these things? I don't think you can top Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. This was nice, but, no ecards or really useless online games. Being nice to people, doesn't sound like much fun. But, ok.. next time I see you I will share my bubble wrap with you.

1:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links