Monday, July 18, 2005

Plumbing Pain

Well the bathroom has died the death and the corpse has been buried in my breezeway. The old nasty room has been torn into bite sized pieces, bagged and thrown out the door, paving the way for the installation of the shiny new bathroom.

The installation, however, is not going as well as it was supposed to. My skills with electrickery are still as good as they need to be and my faith in my plumbing skills were shaken, but have survived intact. I have installed literally miles of pipe before and have been fortunate not to have created leaky systems before. This all changed on Saturday. I crafted a nightmarish maze of pipes, valves and elbows all with great care since my wife and I, like most people, don't enjoy basements with the water contained outside of the plumbing systems.

I stood back and admired my handiwork with a sense of great accomplishment and pride. I swaggered over to the main shutoff in my trademark cocky manner and opened the valve while patting myself on the back for a job well done. It was at this point, with my arm on my back, that I felt the water strike my armpit. I shut the system down to repair the leaks that had shown their ugly heads and patched my leaky handiwork.

Die they must die, the bathtubs must die!I then reluctantly crept over to the shutoff and turned the valve again, dismayed to see water dripping from the "repaired" joints. It is at this point that I am glad that the family is away as the job site turned rapidly into an NC-17 location. I tore it all apart again and examined the components only to find that 4 of the 12 elbows that I had purchased from a certain orange signed store with holes in places there shouldn't have been! While I felt better that my plumbing skills were still decent I was dismayed to see that most of Saturday had slipped away. I ran out to a different store and bought the non-leaking variety of elbows that I prefer to use and resoldered everything to a preferred non-leaky status.

Somebody enjoys vacuuming a little too muchIt was at this point that I called the cavalry. The cavalry said that they had more important things to do, and the horses were tired so I told them to get bent. Then I got a phone call from the renovation king himself, the Jodster. We destroyed the remaining bathroom and after putting up a huge fight, the bathtub was wrenched from its hole like a rotten tooth (although unlike the puuling of a tooth the screeching sounds were from us instead of the tub). Sunday went much more smoothly (day of rest my backside), but with the lost time on Saturday the tiles have yet to go around the tub. Damn you orange renovation store!!!! Maybe I should ahve told them that the home improvemtn was for me and not my fish, then I would have had supplies theat resulted in a dry job!

Tonight tiles, tomorrow the world!

Dear lord, I'm tired.

15 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

It'll all be worth it in the end...THAT'S what you have to remember!!!

Good luck! :)

9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

EW. There is NOTHING worse then doing what you are. My hubby (jack of all trades) and I redid our bathroom and kitchen. Never again. It always sounds so easy!

He loved doing every minute of it.

10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

When you're finished and you are sitting on your new throne surveying your improved kingdom, it will all be worth the pain. S

11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

My hubby put a new kitchen in and moved the plumbing.. it was the hardest thing of all the DIY. We went through the "turning on the water discovering the leak " a few times. Good for you and Good for Jodster for helping.

12:03:00 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Now, tiling really is a skill I'm envious of anybody having.

As for plumbing, the easy way out these days is to use plastic push-fit fittings rather than the old copper ones. Using push-fit you can guaranttee yourself at least a couple of leaks.

3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Big job! big job!!! feel scared.

4:12:00 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

hello rainy pete. i know exactly how you feel. as you know i have been remodeling my house since i retired. i hate plumbing but i do it to save money. i have installed all the toilets and sinks in my house. the only thing i did not do was the bathtub. i rebuit the shower in one bathroom and put ceramic tile in that one instead of the plastic one we use to have. good luck with your projects.

4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You make me feel exhausted just reading about it. After having so much trouble just trying to replace a tap washer, I don't thnk I could bring myself to take on such a monumental task.

Go you! and Go Jodster for being a great mate! The end result will be all worth it.

4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

This sounds like work, I don't like work you poor thing!

6:05:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

That's really weird, I am in the process of redoing our bathroom as well. Wait a minute! What if Rainy Pete is actually one of my other personalities, and we're actually working on the same bathroom? I'm freaking myself out.

8:14:00 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I just call my wonderful son to do all those pesky things. He has to come from out of state, but he loves me so much, he even made a special trip to put brakes on my car, and paid for them too!

Last time he came up to fix my toilet, now that is love. :)

10:17:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

I'm so glad I rent after reading this! wow.

12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

I'd hire a professional. That way when things go wrong I can just refuse to pay him until he fixes it, and I get to keep my hands clean.

12:03:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

wow, you've been busy.

9:14:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Faucet.
Well, it seems like you know what you're doing so that's encouraging, right? I'm perfectly willing to try plumbing and minor electrical work if it's someone else's house.

10:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links