Monday, July 04, 2005

Celebration and Education

OOooooohhhhhh.   Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.
As with any holiday weekend, there is barbecuing, drinking and celebration. There is also opportunity for learning on many occasions. This weekend was no exception.

How many times have I told you.........

When barbecuing for a family birthday party that you will be leaving early for a football game, it is often not a good idea to cook half of the available meat, grab a pile for yourself, then leave. While this seems like a good idea at the time, the wife will likely find fault with your decision at a later time.

Is there anybody home?

Neighbors who buy lots of fireworks and don't think about pyrotechnic deflecting trees will likely be visited by many large men in fireproof coats and trucks with ladders and hoses.

Hey somebody dropped a $20.00 bill!

Football teams who rely on their defense for all of their points will find themselves in the losers seat at the end of their game.

Help me , It's cold inside here!

When you are at the shop buying ice for a party and it is frozen down to the bottom of the freezer, climbing in can have some fun consequences. I got to the store and all that was left in the freezer that the ice is kept in was a layer of bags on the bottom that had frozen down tot he cabinet. Not one to give up easily I tried to pry three bags loose by hand only to find they were putting up more of a fight than that.

I then climbed in tot he unit and began kicking bags loose. Some poor lady that was startled by the presence of someone in the cabinet asked for two bags and I was happy to help her out. I then picked up my three bags and saw, out of the corner of my eye, a clerk who realized that someone was in the cabinet. I took advantage of the apparent look of alarm on his face and had some fun with him.

I stood in the door with a chilly and painful expression on may face and when he wrenched the door open and asked in an alarmed voice if I was OK I thanked him profusely for letting me out of the freezer. He probably still thinks he rescued me and that he is a hero. I would have loved to hear the staff room conversation that afternoon.





Reminder for those that want a postcard to get their requests in while I have some left. A reminder to email me with your address so I can get one to you. Not that anyone has forgotten to get me their address, honest!

9 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

That poor clerk. Although I have to admit your senseo of humour is killer.

Great post.

9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

LOL...I would have died laughing...

10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Ha! I wish I could have seen that. I like the dog photo.

11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am beginning to think that there may be a use for camera phones after all.... I would love to have seen that. To help you in your hour of need .. of course

11:50:00 AM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

You are so funny. Thank god for your humour to get me through my working day. No pressure though.

Wondy x

2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Aaw, how sweet that you helped that old lady out. Maybe you should take a blow torch with you next time?

3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You're hilarious, RP! Honestly, they don't pay those clerks enough to have to deal with funny nutbars like you! :)

11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

How I wish I could have seen that! It would have amused me greatly!

1:26:00 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

Oooh...firemen!

3:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links