Friday, July 15, 2005

Rainy Pete Goes On Tour


Sorry I'm late, did I miss anything?

It was a busy day in the Rainy household. The impending arrival of the Rainy baby had us running around before it even arrives. Darn kid's making trouble already.......I'm so proud!

We had yet another regular visit today with Dr. Rick after which we had to begin the housing shuffle. Those of you who have had kids know about this one. It involves the moving around of one's residence and possessions in order to create an acceptable space in which to house the newcomer. It's like Happy and Blue's houseguest lament, only on a much more permanent scale. We rearranged dressers and other goodies to dig out our first child's room and are in the process of trying to figure out how to fit everything into the baby's room. It's like playing Tetris, only you can't rotate the pieces on end to make them fit better, much harder.

We accomplished as much as we could and then it was off to the hospital for the grand tour. Our hospital has a rather intellient policy of pre-registering your birth so they can ask all the question that they need answered to take good care of you. Only by doing it ahead of time, you can avoid having to think while you are in the midst of labour chaos. This happens by ensuring Moms get what they really want as if asked what kind of room they want during labour they are likely to yell something like

    "I don't care if I'm in a garden shed, just get this thing out of me!"


They definitely have some of the funkiest beds I've ever seenSo we're checking out the tour and they've kitted all the rooms out with some fancy new toys for Mum and Dad and the docs. The beds are vastly improved, which is good news for Moms, and they have added chairs that are now slumbering Dad compatible. For the techno-geek among us (Oh wait that's me) they have a freaky lamp in the ceiling that goes wherever a remote controlled stick goes. They won't let me play with the wand. They even have some pretty fancy whirlpool tubs to make Moms as comfy as possible while they are being gripped by contractions, although how they work without sides on them is a mystery to me. Something I got a laugh out of is that with every piece of equipment they mentioned, they also mentioned the price. I don't know if they were trying to sell some, or if they were trying to impress us. I actually go the distinct impression they were telling us to be careful around the new stuff, like a little kid would;

    "That's Mommy's new phone. We aren't allowed to play with it, it's very expensive"


As the tour nears a close they herd us all into a room and let the poor pregnant women, most of which are pretty much due anytime soon and have walked the length of the building, sit down for a while. They go over the last bits of information that they legally give to protect themselves and show you some of the written resources available to you. As the session, designed to calm the worried parents and expectant folks down, the nurse decides to ease the minds of the pregnant women by telling them the record birth for their hospital was 14 pounds and that labour was How big!?! AAAAAAHHHH!!!something like 2 and a half hours long!
Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but why would anyone want to prolong labour with that monstrous a child trying to escape the womb. I would think that this was done out of a sense of self preservation. Good job nurse, the lady sitting across from me would have had her eyes fall on the floor next to her jaws if she didn't look so tired from lugging a baby around inside her for the full term. I think she was due something like an hour or two after the tour.
We decided that all thatmade for a pretty lazy day so I spent the rest of the night preparing for the impeding day of creation by unleashing my fairly effective destructive side. Does anyone know anything about plumbing? How about electrickery?

OK, so now that I've got the wall off what are these metal things running u and down for again?Wow!  I would have thought that a light was screwed to a wall or something.  We are changing this one for safety.

29 Comments:

Blogger Pete B said...

Hmmm. Know a bit about both, though probably not much more than you ;-) Besides, the time difference could make emergency advice a little tricky I guess!

Why the oh-so-carefully planned destruction, might I ask?

7:37:00 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Oh, that is wonderful about the baby, I hope and pray that mom and baby are both fine when the time comes.

7:55:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Hello Rainy Pete. Here are your interview questions:

1)Choose one place in the whole wide world that you would NOT like to go to and explain why?

2)If you were writing a book what kind of book would it be and what would it be like?

3)What is your favourite joke?

4)Which famous person would you like to exchange places with for one day and why.

5)What is your earliest childhood memory?

ok here is the small print


Now the rules
1. Leave me a comment saying 'interview me please'
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here on my blog (not the same questions you see here)
3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

have fun Fizz:)

8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Don't tell me you have done a Mr Fizy Spec. knock a hole or pull something down and THEN decide how to fix it LOL
not going to think about 14lbs in 2 hours..... not going to think about.....
have agood day

8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

use duct tape. works on everything.around the house-not at the hospital! good luck and congrats on the new lil one.

9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Fourteen pounds? Labor? Hell, they'd best be showing me the up-to-the-minute cutting tools because I'd surely want a pre-planned C-section.
Best of luck to you and Mrs. Rainy Pete! The hospital looks great.

As to those last two pics ... looks like the office I work in. Gotta love those non-profit organizations.

9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

We showed up for our hospital tour after driving in the rain for an hour. As we pulled in our spot, I got a call on the cell, cancelling the tour. We went right upstairs and gave ourselves a tour. Who's going to stop an enormously pregnant woman in a hospital? I thought we almost got in trouble because we did take the staff elevator. LOL. Good luck with the new baby coming.

9:17:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

RainyPete, any plumbing questions, fire away. I can't guarantee I'll know all the answers , but I know quite a bit about heating and water supplies, but not much about drainage.

10:26:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

P.S. Hope eveything goes okay with the new addition to the Rainy family.

10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I know I flick the switch and I can see....I flick the switch the other way and I can't.

Congrats on the impending expectation (aka lil' bundle of joy)!!! :)

10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Congrats on the new baby! How exciting!

That wasn't nice for the nurse to talk about a big ol'baby like that! Not nice at all. It also wouldn't be nice to say that I was in labor for 47 hours including 4 hours of pushing before they decided to cut her out. That would have made the lady you mentioned fall over in her chair!

12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I know enough about plumbing and electicky to know the two don't mix very well; like a toaster and a tub.

1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Celti said...

14 pounds! Dear GAWD!

I had a whirlpool bath in my room when I had D. I didn't get to use it because of my freakin' blood pressure. *sob*

When is the wee one due?

3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Ohhh babies cute!! I want one.. oh shoot I wrote that and now I don't want to erase it, oh there I go wanting again, haha good luck with the new baby!

6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

"nly by doing it ahead of time, you can avoid having to think while you are in the midst of labour chaos."

Pretty funny. I actually managed to spell my wife's name incorrectly.

6:57:00 PM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

Pete I always love your stories, and those pics look like you have been sneaking a peak in my windows.

Oh and the Fizzy invitation goes for me too, if you like. S

7:32:00 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

Ok, so I'll probably be the only one to offer my condolences... I have four now... & well, STOP AFTER ONE!!!! lol ok.... maybe I'm exaggerating just a little? I wish....

Seriously, congrats! And darn that hospital is soo high tech! Don't bother to come out to Maui to have your offspring... They'll jump at the chance to give you the pitocin, but you're lucky if you get painkillers here.

Good Luck!

11:13:00 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

well the bed looks alright but the plumbing stuff looks like my house. good luck with the new arrival.

11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

It looks very nice, though of course your missus is not likely to notice any of it by the time she's in active labour.

12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Holy crap! 14lbs huh? *shudder*

Sounds like a great hospital though, all those new fandangled pieces of equipment and furniture. Very cool. all the very best for the newcomer.

I've been thinking about knocking a wall out, between the bathroom and toilet. I think you may have given me second thoughts about that lol

5:45:00 AM  
Blogger Minerva said...

Hospital looks great, and given the state of your electricals, I think you all better move in...
No wonder they didn't let you play with the wand at the hospital - they had obviously seen the damage you do at home!
*grinning*

Minerva

8:49:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That hospital story freaks me out! It makes me not want to have kids!

6:59:00 PM  
Blogger LK said...

I am rather impressed that you managed that much 'work' in just one evening. btw, just got my postcard and I love it, it made my day - thanks!

3:10:00 AM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

We're right there with ya, Pete. We had the hospital tour a week or two ago. And I preregistered last week!

And we're getting a nursery ready. Although I can't say it involves plumbing or electrickery at my house, which is a good thing, because otherwise we'd be in huge trouble. Good luck with THAT!

6:27:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

don't tell me, st. joes? If i'm right, they are notorious for guilting you into how much the government is paying for your visit, like as if to say, you got pregnant and now we're having to pay for you! nice huh?

3:35:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

good luck on the newcomer :)

and a big OUCH on that birth story :o

12:45:00 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Geez a baby on the way and you took on this task!?!?
You might be my new hero.

11:02:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

BTW, I thought the picture at the top was really cool. I didn't notice the moon in it at first.

How ignorant of me.

7:59:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

By comparing the baby-preparations to Tetris you have piqued my curiosity about having a child; I love Tetris!
Those gadgets in that hospital sound fantastic. I haven't quite the right idea about that light, but it sounds great.
Good luck with the baby.

10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links