Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Could've Been the Whisky, Might've Been The Gin


If your paper is like most, it tries to thin out the news so your head doesn't explode with knowledge or opinions. While ours is currently experiencing a dearth of actual quality information, buried in cooking tips and fashion advice, it does provide some entertaining things from time to time.

Yesterday's paper showed a photo that I couldn't resist posting. This is a pair of guys from the prairies who have proven that those prairie folk really know how to party. The beer cans you see are the result of one year of drinking and total almost 11,000 cans. While most of you will question how they could consume an average of 15 beers a day (assuming no days off), I question where they stored all these suckers. I don't know about your house, but I usually have trouble figuring out where I'm going to put one case of empties before I can get them returned.

As a child I used to patrol the ravine and woods near my house picking up empties that were abandoned by partying kids and drunks so I could get the money from the deposits. This would be used to subsidize my addiction to penny candy and Styrofoam planes. I imagine if I found a cache of this many cans as a child I would very likely have either passed out with excitement or developed diabetes after eating that much candy.

Bravo gentlemen, and I hope your livers hold out long enough to spend your riches.

20 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Only 1 year of drinking. Oh, how proud they must be. Yikes!

9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Mayo said...

Thanks you for your kind words.

Way to break it down PETE!

One year of drinking, now that is a true vacation!

9:24:00 AM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

hello rainy pete. how are you today? your post reminds me of a man that lived next to the river when i was a kid. he use to drink a lot of beer and he would toss the cans out of his window. after a while the cans were as high as the sill. he pushed them away from the window and continued to throw them out.

10:46:00 AM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

I'm impressed the empties are so well preserved in their boxes and all...

12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Pete, my long lost twin! I wondered what ever happened to you. I spent my summers between the ages of 10 and 12 doing the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

Three cheers for candy and styroafoam planes!

1:25:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

WOW!! That is a lot of beer! I wonder how much that costs....

3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Two things.
One Look how thin they are and I hate them for that alone. I walk by the beer store and I gain 5 frigin pounds.
Second they must have pissed out a storm drinking so much beer.

3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I wonder how much they made on all those cans...Hmm...Food for thought.

5:14:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't even want to think about the amount of farting and belching that went on with all that beer consumption. Bleech.

8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

So what're they going to do with all those cans - use them as house cladding?

8:34:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Isn't that house building material?

10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Some people start foundations for medical research, some people feed the homeless, some people save beer cans. Go figure!

10:10:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Wow, that's a lot of cans.

10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That was too funny!!!

I did the same thing when I was a kid...only I didn't collect cans, I collected the glass soda bottles people would toss out (for the deposit...and yes, kiddies....they actually had coke and pepsi in glass bottles years ago!!!)

I usually got ten cent per bottle and yes, I'd buy candy with my money too...:)

8:28:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

That's one shedload of beers.

We used to look for bottles to get the deposit back as well.

They don't have that system here nowadays.

12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

singing: "Could've been the 3/4/6 packs I don't know but look at the mess I'm in, my head is like a football, I think I'm gonna die! Tell me me oh me oh my, wasn't that a party?"

LOL hey there! i was into those planes too, which part of hamilton did you grow up? I grew up near the Glendale Golf and Country Club.

1:41:00 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I think it's hilarious that they are that PROUD of it! LOL!

8:25:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

Can you imagine how much eleven thousand empty beer cans must smell?

8:48:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Their house must have smelt like a brewery.
But hey they are so proud.

2:08:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Anyone calling themselves lushes right now better re-think their claims.
I used to have a couple of those styrofoam glider toys but they were designed after anime characters or something. I miss 'em.

11:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links