Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Behold the ravages of age!

This weekend saw me realize my age a little more as our little girl turned three already!! We marked the occasion in the same fashion as every insane parent who hasn't tried before, with a themed party! Our daughter (seemingly along with most of the free world under 3.5 feet tall) is hopelessly addicted to a short Hispanic girl called Dora the Explorer. For those of you with kids, you know her far too well. For those without feel free to punch it into google. She's everywhere! Dora has given me a few chuckles as I watch my little girl succumb to the brainwashing of television. She shouts and yells with and to Dora whenever she's on.

In preparation for this event my wife planned and plotted what was to be done. I was tasked with the creation of an extra large Dora with which we played a version of pin the tail on the donkey. She turned out pretty good, but I hope the real Dora isn't near that big as her massive head would crush small children should she fall over on them!Hola!  Try to escape my hydrocephalic cranium! Accompanied by an army of Dora themed noisemakers, hats and such we also had a cake crafted by the cake genie known as Z (who also suffers with being the wife of Jodster, but we try not to hold that against her). This fantastic creation was as tasty as it was funky to look at. There were the requisite games played to try and distract the kids form the inevitable chaos of gift giving. As anyone with small kids knows, the challenge isn't in trying to keep the children entertained as they will entertain themselves with zeal. Pack that many into a room and you can be sure they will have themselves extremely busy. They real key is to keep the parents entertained as well. For some parents this is easier than others as the Jodster demonstrates.You'd think with all those kids running around he would have put his cell phone away!

All in all it is the loudest and most entertaining thing I have done in a while, and I have been to some pretty loud concerts. The most harrowing part of the whole thing, beyond trying to keep my eardrums from rupturing was to keep marshalling my sleepy three your old from the gifts as she apparently becomes a completely materialistic savage when presented with a table full of gifts. Sensory overload and constant activity can really negate all the sugar that is consumed though. Eventually the sugar and excitement proved too much and there was much drying and wailing. After sending everyone home it was straight home to bed. I hope that my daughter made it to bed too, but I was too tired and my wife kept hitting me and telling to quite bawling like a baby.



How the hell can she be three already!!!!

Time certainly flies when you're having fun

21 Comments:

Blogger Cyn Bagley said...

Ah she's a beautiful redhead.. you are headed for a lifetime of craziness. LOL

As for Dora, she's mild. At least you did not have to do a Barney themed party. SHUDDER

11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Nice photo. She's really cute too.

12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

That Dora cake is aDORAble. Hyuk hyuk yuk. Ohhh, seriously, did Jodster eat the whole thing? Everything looks great. My 4-year old nephew would have been in heaven. (Not because he died, but because he loves Dora)

12:21:00 PM  
Blogger TheatreChick73 said...

She is the sweetest little girl I've ever seen! She is so beautiful.

I agree with Cynthia....you are in for a world of craziness with this lass.

12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

What a beauty she is! I hope you have a king sized bat to beat the boys off with!

2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

She is adorable.. but you really must stop letting her dye her hair that enchanting shade of red. She's only three, Pete!

3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

What a lovely little girl. Three! The fun is just beginning. Just think, in ten years, she'll be even more beautiful and she'll be a teenager.

How's RainyJakob doing?

3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Awwww. She is too precious! We missed out on the Dora craze, thankfully. :)
Happy birthday little one!
Lois Lane

4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

She's so cute.

5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

dora rocks! what an awesome toon to like! my great niece had the same theme party. needless to say, we weren't talented or creative enough to draw dora (awesome, BTW) and what the heck were you guys pinning on her back???

jodster? hmmm, looks familiar....maybe it's the eye brows!

(you guys are obviously good parents.....you have a redhead! :o)

11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Sounds like a great party for the little sweetie. Sure it's tough to keep up with the kiddies level of energy, but just think, it won't be all that long before she won't want Daddy hanging around at her party. As you've already stated in other words, they grow up so damn fast.

6:59:00 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Look at those eye lashes! She has no idea how lucky she is. Dora on ice was in town not so long ago. I can only imagine parents camping out for tickets, afraid of what fate would befall them if they should come home empty handed.

11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Celti said...

Aw, she's such a cutie! Happy b-day to the wee one!

12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sisiggy said...

Lived through the Barney phase...glad it's over. To quote Mel Brooks: "Moichendising! It's all moichendishing!"

6:30:00 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

my birthdays have started to bother me less and less. it's my son's birthdays that date me! you are right on that.

8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

HAPPILY! We seem to be coming out of the Dora stage at 3.5 years and now moving onto the Disney Princess stage. I miss Dora....wimper....I hate princess'. It's goin' ta be a loooong year!

9:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so cute.she sure had a lovely birthday.

10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy belated!! (what a sweetie!) I've heard of Dora in passing... and she seems cool. Certainly made for a cool looking party!

6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mayo said...

Happy Birthday! Dora is on at least three times aday on nickolodeon and you better believe the babies are glued, lets not forget her cousien diego...."its diego, diego, diego....."

8:43:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

My nieces love Dora too. Even the one year old squeals "Dora" when the show comes on.

Your daughter is adorable. I love the red hair. My sister has dark red hair too. It gets lighter when she is outside a lot in the summer.

Next thing that three year old will be in school. Kids grow so fast. I can remember when Zack was born. My sister went back to school when he was a baby so I had him from baby till he was about 4. Now he's 10! Calls himself a pre-teen. He has 2 little sisters now who like to be picked up when I visit. Zack then asks me to pick him up too. But I can't! Not for a couple of years now. He sits on me as a compromise. I bet he soon will change and think that's not what a guy does. But it's nice that he still wants some affection, a bit of a cuddle and hug. I'm going to miss that darling boy when he suddenly becomes a teenager.

11:57:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Pete - your girl is lovely. And a fellow red-head, I bet she's a feisty one! And has great taste as Dora the Explorer rocks. How I know this without having kids we will never know, but respect to you for your themed party. Only thing is, next time you'll have to top it!!

X X X X X

12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links