Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Everyday Treasures

A celebration of the everyday treasures that we all have.
How many times have you found a small item rolling around in your purse or pocket or camera bag that you have kept for ages for no apparent reason. You haven't thrown it out because it reminds you of a moment or person? Maybe it's a trinket you found on the ground when you were out for a walk with a loved one. It could be a rock that was given to you by a child as a gift. It may even be a ticket for a show you really liked. It's funny how we can attach such value to a valueless item like that. You wouldn't get anything for them if you tried to sell them, but you couldn't find a good reason to throw it out.

You aren't alone! Debby Rebsch, who is in Germany also has those feelings about items and decided one day that people all over the world should be able to bask in the glory that is your "trinket". To celebrate the value and power these incidental items have on our lives she created The Museum of Temporary Art. The Museum itself is a 40x50 cm plastic drawer rack located in her home. The rack houses 33 individual compartments whose contents are mirrored in the online listing found on the web site.

The intention is that these objects should be linked to a memory or story that make it of some value to you that extends beyond the monetary value of the item in question. Like a small, well organized celebration of life, this rack holds memories and stories from all around the world. These objects are here in order to show them the respect and glory that you feel they deserve. The neat part is that anyone at all can contribute to this museum. All you have to do is send an item in that fits in the compartments (4 x 4 x 8 cm) with the story behind it on the submission form. For all the details you can check out the participants section of the MoTA website.

So far the museum has been home to over 500 objects and climbing. What's next? You'll have to watch and see? Or maybe you could contribute? Maybe you have something with a story that you think the world should see. Whoever contributes I have to say that Debby has created somthing that I will have to visit every week or so just to see the world's real treasure in action.

12 Comments:

Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

That's a great idea. I have to much of that stuff though. I keep waiting to forget what it reminds me of so I can throw it out. I'm just not old enough to forget yet.

8:33:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i think i have a museum worth of items in my purse! lol

8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh what a beautiful idea..i have so many memories attached to so many lovely little trinckets..specially 'gifts' that the kids have given me..

10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

And somebody else comes up with another brilliant idea as I sit here eating chocolate.

10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Celti said...

I have a "memory box" full of all kinds of that stuff! Everything from party favors from new years '99 to hair clippings, rocks, you name it. That's such a cool idea - I should send them something!

1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ham said...

Things I can currently contribute:
- an old battery
- a Brampton Transit bus transfer from January
- a trusty bic pen can

(hold on, I'm digging under the rubble - the lining of my purse has a black hole of greed that sucks the contents into it's base)

- one dime, four pennies and a toonie crusted by a broken ibuprofen
- one dr. scholls high-heel insert that is not mine.
- a folded up piece of gauze

I think what this exercise is teaching me is that I need to clean out my purse.

2:20:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

That is absolutely brilliant!

I can think of a hundred things to contribute to that, I'm such a hoarder!

2:56:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

hrm, hardly think she'd want my first condom wrapper, nor the package of my friends' first ciggy, other than that, I don't have much else.

4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

That is pretty neat.

Take Care
Michael

5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I have boxes of stuff that I keep because they remind me of someone or a day.
Last year when we were renovating my mothers place we found a stake od Munsters Playing cards that I once owned when I was a kid under the carpet.

11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

What a cool idea :)

6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

I love that idea, but most of my special trinkets are too special to send away. lol I found a box of junk from when I was a kid. Kind of interesting find.

9:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links