Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lest We Forget



Luckily for me, this year the 11th of November landed on a weekend. I made my way to the cenotaph to participate in the remembrance day service. Watching the cadets there you could tell that some were actually getting the gravity of the occasion. Just over 60 years ago many of them would have been sent off to war at their age and told to take up the battle alongside the rest of the troops. They may never remember a war themselves but they will forever be aware of the impact one could have on their lives.





We wear a poppy to show he world that we remember those that have fallen and those that put their lives on the line for us. Some need no poppy to remember what was sacrificed and many actually wish to forget it all instead of reliving the pain and heartache. The wish passes but there are times they would love the bliss of ignorance that we cloak ourselves in most days.






I thank all who put their lives on the line for we the countless other who enjoy the rewards of their work. I appreciate the ultimate sacrifice given by many. So many were unaware of the dangers when they went, but they went anyways because someone had to stand up for what was right.

Thanks to their sacrifices my children and I are fortunate enough to not have to endure the risks and hardships that they encountered. God willing I will never have to know the pain and loss that the veterans and enlisted folks will face and have faced. I may never be able to fully understand what they went through but I will never take it for granted.


Lest we forget






Terry Kelly's touching tribute A Pittance Of Time



A tribute done by Global Edmonton for Remembrance Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

Nicely done, Pete. We had our Veterans Day program today at the school and most wept.

SO vital to remember...

nice photos of those faces...

10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

Two of those photos were especially awesome. I really liked the poppy on the lapel and the other with it on the stones. Wish I had taken those myself. I did buy a ton of poppies though.

5:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links