Monday, June 20, 2005

When All Else Fails, Start Again

For those who haven't discerned already, I am a comic geek. Once you combine this with the dark streak that runs through my unbalanced brain you come to a natural conclusion, an addiction to darker comics. Enter the Batman. I'm not talking the campy, cheesy Adam West, leotard wearing, go-go Batman. I'm talking the dark "Death in The Family" and Frank Miller Batman. Dark, dreary, gritty like it's supposed to be.

For the first time, I have seen someone in the Hollywood movie factory actually try to get this right. After pretending that it didn't really matter all weekend, I decided at the last minute that I did in fact need to see Batman Begins this weekend. I watched the first half of the movie, got the boot from the cinema due to a malfunction and then re-watched 20 minutes of it and then I finally got to the end. It rocked!! This is the way it was supposed to be. Gotham city is dying from the inside out, the elite and authoritative are corrupt and all is in need of a polarizing influence to begin the change.

This is where Bruce Wayne comes in. After slipping around the globe picking fights with criminals to get his game together he is picked up by a syndicate of extremist do-gooders and trained to refine his skills. He slides back into town, develops some pretty bad-ass toys and stars placing his armored boot in some criminal backside. It all spirals out of control from there resulting a better ride than I expected. I have given up on most comic book adaptations because the studios are afraid to take the risk and go for what's right instead of what sells. They balanced it all pretty nicely here. If you are looking for a pretty good action film with a bit of a darker bent then go for it. You'll never look at psychiatrists the same way again.

I have got to get me one of those cars though.

Rush hour would never be the same again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Weary Hag said...

I haven't seen it yet but after reading your post I'm looking forward to it all the more!

5:28:00 AM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

OH I do love an action movie, and this one will be on the agenda for next weekend. J and I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith Saturday night, and that has a lot of action, and cute funny punch lines (get the pun). S

7:49:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Afternoon, thanks for your comments. I think this is a film I may like but I am sure that my 9yr old will want to watch and we will have to seewhat certificate it has on it. But I know that my Hubby will really really want to see it.
have a good day.

8:34:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

me too- it sounds good, thx for the review

1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I hope you got a free-movie voucher for that malfunction!

I'll go see it. Was tempted, but now I am motivated!

1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Come now Karen, just one?? My silver tongue got me a pair of free passes.

1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I was looking forward to seeing this movie but your review kind of gave the whole thing away. Thanks..

7:22:00 PM  
Blogger Juno said...

I haven't seen it yet either, but will hopefully be able to next week. I always thought the Michael Keaton batman was best.

8:50:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

What a great review from you. So glad you are a comic geek - me too. This film has just opened in the UK, so I hope to see it soon, we just had our premier and Tom Cruise stole all the lime light from Christian Bale, which I thought a little unfair, though I doubt he cared. I can't wait to see the Scarecrow in action! Hurrah!

Wondy x

8:34:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I have yet to see this movie. I'm hoping to get to an IMAX theater to catch it but that's quite a trek for me.
I thought Tim Burton's first Batman movie was very good. And I must admit I like the Adam West cheese as well.

7:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links