Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's Moon Day!



Oh wait! That's the wrong moon. It was a few years before I was born, but I can imagine the excitement and anticipation around the world as events unfolded in the space race. Way back in 1969 (hehe .... 69) on this day three men became the very first to embark on an ambitious mission to set foot on the moon and scouted the terrain for later Apollo missions to become the pioneers of a new sport, extreme moon buggy racing. The mission went well enough, but it turns out moon buggy racing is still a few years off even now. Some pointless ramblings about cost.

I can only imagine the exhilaration and awe felt by Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. After months of practicing on the simulator they had finally landed on teh moon. What a rush! It would be cool enough to have seen the earth from orbit and to see the vastness of space through a capsule window, but can you imagine how breathtaking it would have been to open that module door and poke your head into the vastness of space? Even the folks on the prairies don't have that kind of wide open view.

They would have been ready to get out and stretch their legs after the four day ride. Apparently Buzz kept getting on everyone's nerves by asking "Are we there yet?" all the way there. Buzz also pretended to not be able to use the camera, blaming a lack of training with it, so he could be in all the photos. Neil decided that he'd get in one anyway and took his own picture in the reflection off Buzz's visor.

After making history and roaming around leaving footprints and flags they completed the visit by doing that which mankind does best, littering. The mission and 5 others like it saw various pieces of equipment, including the fabled moon buggy racer. The Apollo 17 mission was the last moon shot made, by our planet at least, and the last man to walk on the moon was Eugene Cernan. While most people can remember at least the beginning of Neil Armstrong's "This is one small step for man..." speech nobody can remember what Gene said as they left the moon.
    "...as we leave the Moon at Taurus Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."

A beautiful sentiment, but I'll have to give NASA a call and see where they put the peace they returned with. I think they are hogging it for themselves along with all that yummy moon cheese. Bastards!

And why didn't they confirm that the man in the moon was definitely a newfie? Wasted their time up there I would say.

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I was just a little Peanut waaaay back then!

Although I wouldn't really want to be shot up into space like that, I think it'd be cool to have one of those pictures of the earth from space (on a poster or something).

8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I wasn't born yet. I grew up with it and sadly, I am of the mtv generation where if it's been done, we don't care. Wait, that's not fair to say. I care, I just don't think it impacted me the way that it has people who actually saw it broadcasted.

9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Winnemucca, Nevada. That's where I was and it was blazing hot.

11:08:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

The sky might be clear tonight and the moon is about three quarters so I'll take a look through my telescope and think about that story.

I think Mr. Armstrong is still up there as he always refuses to do press stuff and things for documentries.

It must be a pain in the bum thought, ahving people keep asking you what it was like on the moon.

12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I saw it live on TV although the feed was so grainy that I don't think I really saw a whole lot.

12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i was just a twinkle in my daddys eye back then, i wish i had been there though, it seems impossible to get to the moon when you are stood looking at it...technology is amazing, i still don't really know how a computer works, all that infinite information travelling thru little wires, the mind boggles...

:0)

12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'll settle for a moon rock!

3:05:00 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

People landed on the moon, riiiight! HAHAHA just kidding (I guess I believe you!)

5:08:00 PM  
Blogger Miss_Vicki said...

I was born in Feb '68, but unfortunately I probably had other priorities at the time, ya know, poopin, sleepin, eatin..... :op

Now I have that damn Police song in my head, "Walkin on the Moon." lol

What a fantastic ride that must have been...

12:44:00 AM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

I was nine and remember watching it. My sisters and I were playing paper dolls and got fussed at because we didn't want to stop to go watch the VERY grainy black and white live shots from the moon, on the tube. IT'S HISTORY my Dad bellered, so we did.

NASA and the money they spend on space crap, is a BIG thorn in my side. I think all tax payers should go down to the Space Center and take their little tour where you can see all about your government tax dollars at work.

12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mayo said...

Its all a sham baby! Its the MAN! Stephen Speilberg directed the whole thing. Its all a lie.....but really this political outrage it obserd...so have a good day!

1:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links