Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Testing 1,2,3

We've all heard about the aftermath of all the global attacks affecting airport travels but there are elements of it I was unaware of. I understand the additional screening and longer security clearing times. Additional items that can't be brought onboard are a little silly, but what can you do? It's a long swim overseas.

My Mom was over in England for a few days and I went to pick her up from the airport only to discover that the training and pickiness have reached new heights. Apparently her luggage was the victim of a training session or some similar manner. When you check in at the airport they take your ticket and issue a boarding pass. They also take in your luggage and put tags on it to denote the flight information so it can be loaded on the appropriate flight. This procedure isn't infallible as luggage often gets to go on a more exotic trip that its owner.


This is a test of the rendundancy bag tagging serviceWell Mom's bag has the tag stuck on the handle like always, but it also had a test tag on it. Take that purveyors of fear!! What exactly this tag tests for is unknown. Since it lacks any special technological capabilities I have to assume it was for testing of the application of tags. I guess that the airport staff are sliding in their skills and now have to be forced test their tagging skills.

I would guess that they would have to be careful about how they suggest this though. If most people were told to tag luggage these days you' end up with spray paint and odd slogans all over your bags. Maybe even mysterious phrases like the one that Jodster noticed. Of course, if they did this I would likely travel more just to see what I got on my luggage.

Do you think they'd let me fly with a sheet of plywood?

16 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I don't get out AT ALL so I have no idea about that sheet of plywood. ;)

8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Well, the barcodes on the test tag are different, so who knows! What a mystery! I've seen people flying with surf boards, so you'd think plywood wood would be okay too.

9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

They might let you take it but you would have to pay for an additional seat for it. S

10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I don't know about the plywood.

Btw, love your audio clip. Verrry cool.

11:42:00 AM  
Blogger sands of time said...

They are very tight on security i know after my trip a few months ago.Not sure what the test strip was thats a puzzle.

11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Probably just testing the machinery that prints it out....wonder why they stuck in on in that case tho'

12:14:00 PM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Plywood may be considered a weapon and may not be allowed among your carry on items. Although when I've been seated in an aisle seat, a stupid bag from an overhead compartment almost gave me a concussion once! The test tag may be new technology that allows the airline to locate lost luggage. They could punch in the barcode number and discover your luggage is flying over the Atlantic Ocean while you are waiting for it at JFK. (lol)

1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Plywood is freakin' dangerous! You're going to give everyone splinters!

1:58:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Considering they were skeptical of the big fake gold tooth (encrusted with a fake diamond) that is attached to my wallet, I'm going to go with no on the plywood.

2:51:00 PM  
Blogger Buff Huntley said...

WE WANT MORE PICTURES OF JACOB!!

4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I think there is size limit but then again there have been coffins shipped on planes. I know my friends bag from england did the european tour the last time she was here. It hit 5 countries before in got to Ottawa.
She was on a direct flight.

8:05:00 PM  
Blogger elle said...

I'm confused. Is the tag being tested or the luggage being tested...or is it the airport personnel..or maybe it's us...Ahhhhhh....I hate freaking tests!!
;)

9:20:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

ugh. I loathe flying these days...

10:13:00 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

My mom is searched at the airport every time she flies, which is fairly frequently. Picture this: a little old 70 year old lady from Topeka who walks with a limp cuz of her bad knees. If she's got a carry-on, it's liable to be the latest PD James mystery and perhaps some books for her grandchildren.

Pretty damned suspicious, if you ask me.

10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Well.. I think the most important question to ask here is if your mom's luggage studied for the tag test.

11:36:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

If they don't let me fly with the little fold-out nailfile on my nailclippers, you are probably shit outta luck with the plank of wood.

6:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links