Friday, September 02, 2005

Yestervision


With the world descending into madness and chaos beginning to creep into all aspects of our lives, it's always nice to have a diversion at hand. A little while ago I wrote of a discovery that made me very happy. I'm proud to say that not only has it's time come, but also that I am now making use of said discovery.

Ladies and Gentlemen it's The Muppet Show ... Yaaaayyy!!

Having had my fill of repetitive blathering about the storm blasted gulf states and rapidly climbing gas prices, I got this little beauty in and am addicted all over again. Not that the hurricane fallout isn't a tragedy, but the media is full of idiots who are focusing on the same 4 things all day, every day. One can only take so much idiocity after putting their money down at the Red Cross. It's everything I wanted and more.


I had actually forgotten that the very first episode contained the comedic genius of Mahna Mahna! It's fuzzy green and yellow case contains the antidote to today's stupidity and soul sucking reality. I've been reveling in my heroes Statler and Waldorf, reconnecting with my culinary side through the Swedish Chef and just soaking up the humour.

For those who've never seen the Muppets, I pity you and recommend that if you don't purchase this boxed set, that you at least find a place to rent or borrow it. This is what television needs more of today. Not people conniving and outscheming each other in a bid to win money on "reality" TV shows. Not more rehashed sitcoms that try to be funny despite bland writing and tepid acting. Not dramas with wooed actors and transparent plots.

Bring back the Muppets!!

Sadly this is likely never to happen, so in the meantime I'll just curl up with the first season and wait impatiently for the rest of them to be released. Personally I think I'd probably watch more news if it was anchored by Sam the Eagle.

23 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

Statler and Waldorf! I have been trying to remember their names now for years!

Noww I'll be singing Animal's song all evening! Thanks! :-)

11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

There was an ill-fated attempt to revive the Muppet Show a couple years ago. I loved it, the ratings sucked, and it didn't last more than a few weeks. But now I will definitely be adding the muppets box set to my Christmas wish list.

And in totally unrelated news, you should be receiving a package in a week to ten days. Being the genius that I am, there is nothing on it to identify that it's from Scarlett and me. So anything you receive that you really like, that's from us. Anything else, we have no idea where that came from. None at all.

12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

OMG! I was a huge fan of gonzo! Could it be? A DVD? Where could I acquire said lovely object?!?

3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I used to love the Muppets! I don't blame you for changing the channels for awhile, it was really starting to stress me out. It helps to head over to a little comedy.

4:22:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm tired of the same on TV too...what better cure could there be other than the Muppets? I loved them too while growing up. I just may have to put that on a wish list.

5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love them!

8:28:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i haven't had a TV for 5 1/2 years. i missed all the coverage of 911 and Memphis in 2003 and now this and i can honestly say that i don't miss it.

absolutely love the muppets and i love their music, too. "Why are there so many
songs about rainbows?"

12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

There can never be too much of The Muppet Show. (Ralph rules!) Is is too early to start a Christmas list?

12:46:00 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Oh I used to love the Muppets! The movies were so clever and amusing even for adults to enjoy. Thanks for a nice break from all the sad news!

8:01:00 AM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

I LOVE THE MUPPETS! If you hadn't noticed with my profile picture being my dog with Kermit. ;)

I heard the first season was out...I WANT IT! I tried to rent it at the video store, but they didn't have it. Shucks.

11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you kidding? I remember the cool theme song! Linked you earlier this week.

12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

well, I'l just have to get my husband to give me my allowance and Rowan will go shopping at the lovely Future Shock

1:20:00 AM  
Blogger Kassi said...

M'nam a nam ...
doo doo dee-doo-doo
M'nam a nam ...
doo doo dee doo
M'nam a nam ...
doo doo dee-doo-doo de-doo-doo de-doo-doo de-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo Doo Doo Dee Doo !!

3:15:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i'm ashamed to say people used to call me beaker at school

4:57:00 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I have seen them all and nit ti mention sesame street. Beeing a father it was the perfect wholesome television I could watch with my kids.
The mippet show was adult and child oriented.
Now our kids are forced to watch shows that have an adult content like Buffy reruns and Dawsons creek. There is nothing wrong with these shows but do you want your 8 year old watching this much violence at such and early age. Then they wonder why the kids are so agressive at school.
Have a nice weekend

3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

nothing like the muppets to cheer you up...i have fraggle rock on DVD for those blue days...lol

:0)

12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't think I even remembered the names of those two...how bad is that?

My favourites were/are Beaker and Elmo. Beaker always got a laugh out of me, he was GREAT!

3:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed that Ryan Stiles off "Whose Line is it Anyway" looks an awful lot like Beaker ?

8:43:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Muppet Show! I still rent the re-runs from Netflix :)

10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

My favorite episode was the one with the song "I know an Old Lady who swollowed a fly". Yes my sons and I watched every show and every rerun.
What did Kermit say when Jim Hanson died?...........Nothing.
That is another sad thing. S

9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

The Muppets were the BEST!

10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I totally love the Muppets and Fraggle Rock! We still own the Fraggle Rock Christmas video and my daughter is 19. Now that you've reminded me how refreshing these shows were, I'm going to drag it out and watch it!

4:52:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I love the Muppets but without Jim Henson they just wouldn't be the same. I still wish they'd used Muppets in these new Star Wars prequels. CGI yoda. Yawn.

10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links