Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Dude Where's My Console?


There you are, sitting at your desk. You're busy wiping an invading alien race from the face of the planet, or maybe racing around the city at 200MPH, or solving colourful puzzles. Whatever you're up to, the boss walks in and starts chewing you out for slacking off. What do you do?

Well fret no more! Now you can simply print him a copy of this post and send him on his way. Apparently, a few years ago, some lab coat types from the University of Utrecht decided to study the effects of playing video games on 60 Dutch insurance workers. They quantified job satisfaction and attitudes and found that the game players felt better about their jobs. And to think, most workplaces have a written policy banning the playing of games on the company clock.

Granted they were using the windows native games like minesweeper and solitaire, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to bring in your favourite console. Just recently a pair of researchers from Rochester said that gaming involves constant decision-making, prioritizing and choosing between options that teaches us how to think. Gaming teaches pattern recognition, a way of finding order in a chaotic world.

Trying to keep up with the likes of Burnout 3 has shown me that my brain is getting sluggish in its old age, so I will obviously have to just make a concerted effort to play more. Sorry honey, but I have to exercise my brain. I'll make sure to get a copy of the news article printed and tape it to the back of my head so the wife knows I'm not just goofing off.

Time to go and improve my mind.

Where's my Xbox?

14 Comments:

Blogger Schotzy said...

Pete with a mind like yours do you really want to enhance those abilities?.............LOL great post. S

10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Great post and Posts (I read back) sorry I havn't been over here for a while. Now I am glad that my son can not use the excuse that his PS2 helps his mind. His mind is already causing mine to wobble hte fine line between sanity ....and....crazy.

I love the pictures of the little man and your 25 things were enlightening. Have a good day

10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

mmmmm i love catfish any style, its not something we get over here though...

:0)

12:00:00 PM  
Blogger dan said...

i'm useless at video games

2:13:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Yeah! I need a job which lets me play Halo all day!

Oh hang on I do!

I mean I need a paying job that lets me play Halo all day! ;-)

2:17:00 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

My sons' are going to love this rationale.

Don't tell them. ;)

2:42:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

You know, I kinda miss the days of the boss key...since then, if your boss has any computer skill whatsoever, they KNOW by looking at your minimized tab taht you are screwing around. C'mon, couldn't they at least make the title on them something like: Very Important DB and Various Lists, rather than Collapse Deluxe!

Yeah, I hate getting caught :(

2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Yikes I'm lousy at video games. Strangely though, years ago I had to pass a series of agility tests one of which focused on hand-eye coordination and they said I scored so highly on it, I should be illegal. What was that you were saying about age being a factor? :)

4:46:00 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Who cares about games. Letting employees watch tv or sleep all day would boost moral as well..

8:13:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Having days off would boost moral!

8:24:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

My son would like to be your best friend. When can I ship him over?

9:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's a bar near my Alma Mater that has Galagza! For a quarter you get an escape from bosses like that!!

2:14:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I was always a huge Laura Croft: Tomb Raider fan myself.

I'd get in SO MUCH TROUBLE at work if I could bring that game with me!

Yikes!
;)

8:44:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Tetris. Yay!!! You know, videogames make you better at laparoscopy. Should you ever be in the situation where suddenly a person yells into a crowd on the street, "This man needs to be operated on! And with the smallest incision possible. Does anyone know how to perform laparoscopic surgery??"

10:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links