Friday, November 25, 2005

Rainynook Of The North

We are taking a pilgrimage this weekend to a relaxing destination. Fed up with all the cold and the snow we are forsaking our comfortable house for a slightly less comfortable cottage nowhere near society and trekking to a colder and snowier northern destination. To some this is madness, but to us this is delight.

In preparation for this trip we have taken certain preventative measures, not the least of which involves medication. It appears that our daughter has learned the fine art of motion sickness. This reared its colourful head during an excursion with my wife and the Jodster while taking the kids to see a show. Our daughter decided that the back of the Jodster-mobile was not colourful enough and proceeded to brighten the place up a little. Since Mommy is prone to such things, we are not shocked that the little one is, just dismayed. Daddy hasn't tossed his cookies for any reasons other than alcohol related ones(and even those were a while ago) in a long time. I can be transported with a blindfold if necessary, I can read while a vehicle is in motion, I absolutely love the twists, turns and slides that winter driving brings and if you put a stove in the car I am sure I could cook while in the car. Let's face it folks, motion is my friend. We're hoping that the baby isn't prone to such things, but when we get the new wheels they will arrive with fabric protection, just in case.

We decided that it would be prudent to get some Gravol for the little one. We figured that the stuff the wife uses wouldn't be such a good idea unless we wanted the little one to wake up just before Christmas so off to the drug store we went to purchase children's Gravol. When I got home I realized that there is a problem here. Upon reading the warnings on the box I was dismayed to read that if you take this product they recommend you don't operate a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Sure the rest seem bad, but she doesn't have a prostate and better not be pregnant already, I figured we wouldn't have to deal with that until she was at least 8. We aren't planning to use heavy equipment for awhile, but the driving is another matter all together. After a commendable job of chauffeuring me around when I was ailing, I was counting on my 2 and half year old daughter to drive up north while I grab some shuteye. They are picking me up from work so I'll be tired. Not now! Now I have to drive up there in the snow and the traffic. Not that I mind driving too much, but that leaves her to read the map. I don't mean to sound paranoid, but a heavily medicated toddler who is only good with about half of the alphabet is not exactly who I was hoping to have as a navigator. All I can say is that I hope they have internet access in the frozen wastes of the north, otherwise I'll never find my way back to civilization. If you don't hear from me again, it's been fun.

I have to go put a survival kit together now for when we get lost. Any suggestions on what I should have in it?

7 Comments:

Blogger Martini said...

I shall presume you weren't in the Metro when she yakked, otherwise you all would have drowned!

5:37:00 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

a flash light and a compass would be good. take some matches and dress warm. bring some water and a rifle would be good or at least a knife. better yet why not just stay home.

1:04:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

tossing cookies...interesting

3:24:00 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Why do I suddenly feel nautious? Ugh

Reading while traveling? I can't even sit in the back seat.

Have a great trip.

5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

LOL I love these warnings. They make me giggle a lot.

For your survival kit I think you will need lots of thermal underwear, hotwater bottles, flasks, map and compass may be a good idea. And a good book. I am very jealous actually have a brill time.

For the travel sickness you need a big bucket, with a plastic acarrier bag inside and plenty of supplies, baby wipes and towels, changes of clothes for the child and what ever adult she is sat behind (!!!) a good air freshener, thick coats for when you have to drive with the windows down and a good sense of humour lol

yep I have been there to many times before.

Have a good time on your trip

6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Kassi said...

If the baby doesn't suffer from motion sickness yet, there is plenty of time to grow into it ... after a lifetime of reading, writing, doing crosswords and generally not paying much attention while being a passenger, I was hit with motion sickness as a 31st birthday present :( Yay me !!!

Enjoy your trip ... I am wildly envious :)

1:39:00 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

Glad I landed here. Humor keeps me insane. ;) (I suffer from motion sickness, too. Hugs to your wife and daughter.) Thank goodness my husband doesn't.

9:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links