Friday, June 02, 2006

I need your brains

I am a huge fan of my city here and love the opportunity to show people a side of it that isn't usually seen. When most people think of our city they think of steel mills, pollution and poverty but many don't know that there is much more here than meets the eye. Beauty is all around us in this city. Steeped in history, it has been the source of decay and degradation for many years. In the last decade or so we have seen a rebirth begin. It was slow at first and is now picking up momentum. We are seeing the renewal of places like our waterfront really take shape now. Once a place to ignore and avoid as it was just run down and simply a parking lot for boats, the city has seen it redeveloped and relaunched as a place fit to spend time and take the family. This love of the city has combined with my photo addiction to fill what free time that blogging doesn't. Photography has taught me to seek the hidden beauty within many things previously ignored. There's nothing out there that a good picture can't be taken of. The joy of the hunt is the key and if it became too much like work I probably wouldn't do it as much. I have thousands of pictures that fill my hard drive and various discs and for the most part, I enjoy looking at them and have no specific use in mind. Every now and then I hear of a photo contest and decided to go digging through the heap to see what I can come up with. The problem is that, like a parent who thinks their kid is cuter than other kids I have trouble narrowing it down, so it's time to appeal to the masses here. I need help picking two of these pictures for a photo contest. I dug through my pile of files to narrow it down to these two pics and now I need help paring it down to two. Let me know in the comments which ones you would pick and we'll start a photo scrumm of sorts. Ask your friends, ask your family, ask the mail carrier or whoever is silly enough to come to your door.

For those that help I offer my thanks and for those that don't.....well that's your choice now isn't it? Enjoy the pics and enjoy your weekend and thanks as always for stopping by and enduring my weirdness.

Will it be these two poor souls, hard at work?

Or the long arm of the law?

Maybe these sleepy boats are the thing.

Or a littel solo action.

Or the massive, beast of burden look?

18 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

according to the mormon missionaries, the gas meter reader and my cat named George Dog, number 3 and 4 are the favorites.

10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

According to "The Hair Greying Son", "daughter with cloud" ,Harry Potter and myself -phew that was alot of people- we think that number 1 is the best.

I have pics from my city on my blog today

10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

1 & 3, 1 & 3!!!

11:10:00 AM  
Blogger richgold said...

I vote for #1

11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Celti said...

I vote for 1 & 4. #1 is breathtaking. :)

12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

definitely the 1st one and possibly the 3rd one.

2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I like the first two. One gives you the artsy image you need and the other a bold statement and marvelous shot.

Take Care
Michael

4:27:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

beautiful! all!

11:03:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

tough call, the sunset one and the golden boats really jump out at me though. all of them are wonderful though.

8:45:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

3 and 4! (we can vote twice, can't we?)

11:18:00 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

I would vote for nr 1 and nr 3, though all of them look great!

6:04:00 AM  
Blogger Sisiggy said...

I gotta go with 1 or 4. The color composition is great.
I like the treatment of the light in all of them, though.

8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I like the third one, but I would consider cropping some of the bottom out. It's a lot of dark and empty space. Other than that, I'd go with #1.

11:21:00 AM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Those pictures are great especially the police boat, that one appeals to me the most - it's great you love your city so much, it's easy to take these things for granted x x

5:57:00 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Oh I would definitely go with number 3...great shot!

9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

This is tough because they're all so damned beautiful - man, you're a very talented photographer, my friend. Good eye.

If I had to pick faves, though, I'd go with #3 and #4.

12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I vote for 4 (3 had a little red x instead of a picture and I didn't think that was quite as creative as the other photos...anybody can have a little red x, ya know. Sheesh)

10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

I liked the first one.

Hope you got away from the police. Or did they just wave and ask if you brought them a beer this time?

9:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links