Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Lighten up!

 365 #24
Today is a day to run amok at work and at school. It's Loosen Up, Lighten Day! A day to crack jokes and send funny emails. Do what you must to spread the word. Laughter has long been known to brighten a person's day and help improve their general well being. Sadly I find it is very underused these days. I think with the dark streak that runs through my mind that if I didn't know how to laugh I'd likely be looking for a bridge to leap from, or possibly a bell tower to hide in with my rifle.

People take themselves and their lives far too seriously any more. My favourite phrase spoken by folks when they are caught in mall lineups or traffic is "time is money". Now if you're a doctor or contractor who bills by the hours I have to agree, but most of us work a day to day job where we are unpaid when we leave. The extra 15 minutes spent in the car costs us very little at all. So when you find yourself caught in traffic you should have fun with it. I like to turn the stereo up and sing along in a very animated way. If people turn and stare you can acknowledge them and invite to join in. The look on their face is priceless, although I actually had a lady join in on one hot summer day when the car windows were rolled down and the bumpers on the road were pretty much touching. I had to laugh as it was like something from a tv commercial. Similarly I was caught one day in gridlock when someone started honking their horn at a fellow they didn't realize was broken down. I responded with the old "shave and a haircut" rhythm on my horn. Next think you know everyone was playing songs with their horns. All good fun.

Caught in the mall while some frugal soul counts out $3.48 for their purchase and fumbles for a coupon? Why roll your eyes when you can just take the slow down in stride and enjoy the fact that while you are stood in line you aren't rushing around like a fool to the next task. Maybe you're in a store where the management decided that one clerk could adequately serve the 35 shoppers that come in. There's nothing you can do to alleviate the situation and you are faced with only two actual choices which are stand around and wait your turn or take off and come back again later. Since it's unlikely that the management will hire new additional staff before your next visit you should probably choose option a, or option b followed by option A again later when you've got the time to spare. Shouting at the clerk and complaining loudly about the store only makes you look like a tool. More entertaining still is to head to the nearest source of music and singing along, or dancing with the music. If in a grocery store you can bowl with canned goods.

The key here is to remember to smile, or for many first learn how to smile and then apply that knowledge. You'll be surprised how much easier your day goes when you learn to just grin and bear it.

If you're going Christmas shopping (and I do this whether now or closer to the actual day)I recommend loading yourself with candy canes and wearing a Santa hat. When you get to the cashier then offer them a candy cane and a smile. Most of them are so thrown off at first but then they will generally open up with a smile of their own that isn't just the usual retail reflex. A genuine smile that you can see right away. So grab some pretzels and brace yourself for the day! If it helps then use my theory on life

You may as well laugh at life since it's already laughing at you


These should get you started;



18 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

well, thank you for sharing joy and making us smile. you are right we need much more laughter and patience and share it with others.

i love your pic, it's hillarious.

have a good one and keep on laughing and sharing.

:)

10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I'm laughing already!

12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

There's a fine line between making people laugh, and scaring the bejesus out of them. You should have posted this picture of you on October 31st! YOWZA!

2:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to Pete to spread joy and laughter. Here is a big belly laugh just for you *laughs uncontrollably* Have a great day

4:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. Last time I sang in a store I was banned for 6 months. But they can't keep me out forever I guess..

8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I SO agree.. I wish I had read this earlier.
Can I celebrate the next day too?

1:59:00 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

There's nothing like a good baby belly laugh!

If a stranger with a santa costume (and possibly a clown nose) handed me a candy cane I'd be a little concerned. Sadly that's what society has conditioned us to be.

8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Thanks! I needed that.

12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

ok tell the truth you made this day up didn't ya?

anyways, thanks for the babies, they always make me laugh right about at that age....

12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Can you come be my neighbor?

10:51:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Cute! You are a joy and spread laughter everywhere, here included!

8:18:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

my son used to laugh like that when he was little, isn't that just the cutest thing? so much laughter? gotta let ourselves laugh like that....it's so healthy!

9:28:00 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Ha! Love the story about the horns in traffic!

11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Laughing babies, they remind me of cabbage patch dolls. Thanks for making me smile! Imagine the baby on the bottom clip as an old geezer.

Here on Caye Caulker the motto is GO SLOW, besides the obvious, if you walk too fast you'll sweat too much.

4:34:00 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I love that video you posted. They won the big money on AFV a couple of times! :)

Nice pic and I like the idea of the candy canes. Too bad that in this world I wouldn't let my kids eat a candy cane handed to them by a sweet man with a clown nose. What is happening to us, hmm?

4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Now see? This is why I come over here.

Um and also to tell you, you GOTTA check out what I did today! I have pics up and everything. (cuz nobody would have believed me) At the ripe old age of 55, I finally at long last got somebody to trust me to operate heavy machinery. That baby took a whole wall out in two seconds flat! NO kidding! I have pics of that too.

I soooo gotta get me one of those.

5:40:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Great advice, my friend. And thanks for the videos - who can resist a baby laughing! Leaving here with big grins now -- you've spread the smiles well, yet again!

8:28:00 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

4 babies!!! No wonder they need lots of laughter in that family ... fabulous! Thanks for that :o)

1:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links