Monday, November 13, 2006

Monday Musings - or "Hey you! Get off my lawn!"

It's apparent to me that I am getting older. The funny part is that I don't remember it happening. No I haven't found gray hairs or noticed rogue patches of hair growing where they had no business growing before. The revelation comes upon on slowly. The most noticeable event lately was a few days back when I got a chance to drive a $50,000 Mazda RX-8 and found it to be cramped and overrated. Come to think of it, I think I've always been old and am just catching on. I remember looking around at school and thinking that most kids were lunatics. This mental problem of mine is of particular note to me when I read the newspaper and realize that getting old can really be bad for your health and general well being.

Sure there's the whole problem of liver spots and bad backs, but the threat to one's health can come from external sources as well. This weekend a 46 year old man stopped for some pizza on his way home late at night and made a comment about the behaviour of a young man who was in the store. In an effort to defend the actions of this young man who was there his friends decided to step outside and wait for the older chap to get his pizza. He stepped out to get in his car and was summarily beaten within an inch of his life. The 46 year old man is now in intensive care wishing he was young enough to understand why behaving like a jackass is a right that is worth protecting by force.

I worry about this because I have stopped at he very same place for a slice late at night and if I was there I would have likely commented on this kid being a bit of a jackass too. Time and again I see kids behaving like idiots and getting bent out of shape when they are told to behave themselves. My advanced age makes me ask questions like what the hell were they doing out at 3:00am (The grown man has his own reasons but youth?). Gives me a lot of faith in modern parenting tactics. I didn't expect to have to worry about getting old until later but I suppose I have o start now. I used to think that being a kid forever might be cool, but looking at the direction of many kids today I am glad I only7 have to worry about work and debt and such. Having your opinion get you beaten up is not my idea of a good time. Although as a grown-up this may not go away either. Just answer a question from your wife the wrong way and you may find yourself the recipient of some unsolicited beatings as well. Being an opinionated person my elf I think I'm just going to keep on keeping one......except I'm going out at lunch to buy a helmet and a taser just in case. Never underestimate your wife I say.

7 Comments:

Blogger Memphis said...

We are no longer allowed to have opinions unless they are shared by the United Nations. Anyone who dares to disagree will be beaten or imprisoned and beaten. No thinking for yourself is allowed. Especially you, White Man!

3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

you said, and I quote: "Being an opinionated person my elf I think I'm just going to keep on keeping one......"

I'd hate to have an opinionated elf. Having a lawn gnome with attitude is enough for me;-)

Even the clean cut kids are starting to look scarry to me. That's how I know I'm getting old.

4:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a day when old men will be forced to travel in packs to the pizza store at 3am..

Husbands, on the other hand, are doomed..

5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wife is going to beat you when she reads your post about using a taser on her. It was nice knowing you should this be your last blog post. :P

6:58:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i have been old since the day i was born, or at least parts of me..too often my heart and mind are tired and feel overwhelmed. yet there is a little girl in me with optimism and hope for the future. a voice that won't give up just yet or ever.

i too would have been beaten up. i won't stay quiet and do nothing while a wrong is being done. i can't and i won't. i have a responsibility to others and to me.

you and i are doing something to change this world. we are raising good, caring and responsible children hon. this is another way to make a difference.

the world is in a bad place but i guess maybe it's always been. we have the potential to be better and do more and go farther but we don't choose to and i don't know why. and often the reality of this sinks me and i feel the sadness and the fear of what tomorrow might bring. but then i see into my kids eyes, and although they are not by anymeans perfect they are good and kind. and i see there is hope.

i pray that the poor man will recover. that he knows he did good even though it costs him. that the punks will be actually dealt with and not with a slap in their hands and that they might see how wrong they did.

i pray for you red nose, that it might keep you laughing and helping you to move forward in the days that dragging along seem the better way.

hugs my friend.

2:42:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

I agree. The RX-8 is overrated. I don't know what those fools at Mazda were thinking when they cancelled the world-class RX-7, then replaced it with a big ugly Miata/Plymouth Prowler hybrid.

2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You don't look too very old in your picture in the next blog. :)

5:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links