Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Labour Day Wreckage


The long weekend has come and gone and something far worse than the return to school rears its head today. I don't know what the roads look like when you are out driving, but around here people drive like lunatics and the cost of it is rising. I grab my coffee and my morning paper only to find that the death toll on the roads this weekend is getting nuts. As I'm reading this article in the paper the radio is blaring that there were a total of 24 traffic deaths in three days.

I don't know about you but that's enough to make me happy that I didn't go anywhere this weekend. I was definitely safer at home! I wonder if there's any point in getting the article blown up and pasting it all over my car to try and get the message through to people on the roads that they just need to chill out and take their time when going places. Then again they will probably just either ignore it drive right into the back of me as they are too busy reading to hit the brakes. I suppose if I do that then I should take a comedian's advice and hang a bunch of old tires around the outside of my car like a tugboat.

After hosting a party on Sunday I suddenly wonder if asking a pile of folks over for a barbecue is putting them in peril. Should I feel bad that I am asking them to risk life and limb to get to my house on the roads of death? Surely the food is worth the risk but is visiting the likes of me worth it? Oh well.....for now I shall count my blessings that I don't go out much on vacation and will likely live to a ripe old age because of it. I guess the bright spot in all this is that the auto mechanics, repair shops and morticians are all going to celebration the post labour day festivities with a busy week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just say auto mechanics, repair shops and morticians?

Yes, you did.

10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

We could just all wear crash helmets when we travel by car.

I saw some crazy driving this weekend. Amazed me and I'm not that easily amazed when it comes to bad driving.

5:43:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I drove for the first time in 15 years when I drove about 250 miles to Scotland for our holiday!! Stupid, daft and crazy but I was so pleased when we got there. The roads have changed so much since then,I had to rely on my Hubby to help me keep a track on things. As all my senses were in overload checking and reading and driving.

4:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links