Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Winners and Wannabes

This weekend saw me taking in a concert that turned out to be a pleasant surprise. First we rewind a little bit into the past where a TV show called Canadian Idol pits singers against one another for the ultimate prize of a record deal. Personally I usually watch the train wreck that is the auditions and then tune out, but this year we had a guy from our city on who was actually really good. Given that talent isn't usually what dictates a winner on the show I wasn't optimistic about his chances. After spending a lot of time at the bottom of the pile, the viewer ship finally realized that he was talented and he worked his way up to ultimately win the whole deal. Brian Melo was labelled Canadian Idol and support in our twon was so large that the finale was broadcast at Hamilton Place Theater so people could come and cheer in person. It was a crazy night as you can see.

So Saturday they held a concert at Hamilton Place Theater with Brian and some of the contestants from the show. Brian brought Jaydee Bixby, who placed second, and Carly Rae Jepsen, who placed third with him for the show and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Jaydee never really impressed me on the show but he had a few decent songs that night. He really seems to enjoy himself on stage and the people really like him too. When he's singing the country music that he loves he is really fun, but when he wanders from that he loses me a bit as he tries to twang it up too much. I actually like country music so it isn't the genre that's putting me off, just him trying to make everything fit in that genre.



After he finished up it was time for Carly Rae Jepsen. I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with confidence in her abilities when she started talking as her stage presence was almost non existent. Everything changed the moment she began to sing. Her voice is unbelievable and I really enjoyed her performance. To me she should have been the second place finisher on the show instead of Jaydee but that's the way things go sometimes.



Finally it was time to bring out Brian and he simply showed why he won the show. His act was polished and energetic. He rocked the crowd and hit them a couple of slower tunes as well. Part way through his set he brought out another Idol Tara Oram for a duet, at one point even having his niece on stage too. The show wrapped with everyone on stage for the big finish and all in all I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Going into a show with low expectations certainly opens the door for a good experience. I loved Brian's stuff and look forward to seeing him the next time he rolls through town. Unless he runs out of steam or idea I think he's got the potential for along career ahead of him. For now I can enjoy his new CD Livin' It and wait for him to return to his hometown for another show.





There's a bunch more pics here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links