Friday, May 20, 2005

Where's Willy?


I received a ten dollar bill in my change the other day with writing on the back. It said "track this bill at www.whereswilly.com" so I thought, why not? Where's Willy? He's right here! But where's he off to next, that is the big question. This is a neat website that lets you track any Canadian paper money by simply entering the serial numbers off of the back. Once you have them typed in you get a page like this one for my $10.

Being the sort of person I am I immediately grabbed a pen and labeled the rest of my paper money with the same message for when they get released into the wild. Not only was this a very short job, but they will likely be released very soon. My ex-girlfriends and I are on better terms than money and I are. At least the money doesn't make any lame excuses, it just goes away.

It turns out the $20 I had has already lead a storied life. After beginning its journey in the Nova Scotia it worked its way all the way to Alberta before ending up in Ontario. After viewing that, I almost wished that I could be a piece of paper money. I could see the rest of this beautiful country without paying for overpriced gas or getting my bags lost. The I realized this entailed getting folded in half and sitting in very very close proximity to peoples' backsides for extended periods of time. So not only would I only get to see limited parts of the country, I may actually get some vile soul with an affinity for beans.

Nope, I'll stay right here and travel by blogging thanks.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

thats very interesting. its cool that u added more bills to the site. i once had this penny that was crushed-barely able to use it as currency-smashed like a mac truck ran over it. my dad said throw it away and i said no i wonder where its been--carried it as a good luck charm for years.

9:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, that's pretty neat. Wonder if we have something like that for US bills? (my money doesn't hang around doing nothing either, it's "hi" and "goodbye" )
blue2go

9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I've been a Where's Willy fan for years. I go through phases where I label money. People sometimes look at you strangely if you give them a labelled bill.

Tip: when you're labelling bills it's best to call attention to the link. Some people have had stamps made. I just write, "enter my serial # to see where I've been!" and the link. I usually highlight it so it stands out.

Blue2go: yep, there's a Where's George site that is linked to Where's Willy. Same concept but with American money. :)

11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Interesting. But what is paper money..

11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I wish we had that in the U.S...but it wouldn't matter because I don't even get a chance to look at my paper money before it's in my kid's possession.

11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Kev And Charlotte said...

Hey you yankees can use>>
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

I've set to marking all of my money! semi-legally!!!

great post!

Kev

2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

That is a coll site. I wonder what the brit site would be... where's lizzy.com?
Where's Elizabeth .com?

4:53:00 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

cool site, its nice you can trace your money, unless you are money laundering and don't want to see it again...lol

i'll look out for some when we are in canada...

:0)

6:46:00 AM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

That is such a good idea!

If you are at all interested, Rainy Pete, I have tagged you to do the film Meme!

10:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way to advertise!

12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Very cool...will lookup the George site!

2:50:00 PM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

hey hon I tagged you for the music meme. Hope you want to play. S

3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We've got Where's George here in the states...so far, I've entered about four or five bills and have been tracking them. It's pretty cool.

8:36:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Totally off topic, but why do you call yourself "Rainy"? I've always wondered about that but I haven't been able to work it into the conversation. Heh!

11:19:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

That's very cool. I wonder if the US has something similar. Every bill would probably have spent some time in the hands of a crack addict.
I guess I've never seen Canadian bills before. All I ever get around here are Canadian pennies that someone tried to sneak on me as change.

12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

I've posted a few bills on www.wheresgeorge.com and about twice a year I get an email that someone entered one that I had.

Have fun!

And thanks for the vote on my Jolly Rancher Experiment.

3:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links