Thursday, August 18, 2005

Safety vs Stupidity

Dude! It's even got cupholders!Maybe it's the impending arrival of a little one, or a inherent dislike for really dumb people, but this caught my attention the other day. Here in Ontario we have seen the introduction of a new law. After years of study and research it has been determined that children are not kept safe in a car crash by seatbelts designed for fully grown adults. Although I don't profess to be an intelligent person, I don't think this should be a ground breaking revelation for anyone. This research has triggered a change in our exiting seatbelt laws extending booster seat requirements to children under the age of eight, weighing
more than 18 kg but less than 36 kg (40-80 lbs) and who stands less than
145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall. Anyone who breaks this rule will be penalized with a fine of $110.00 and two demerit points.

The end result of this has been a flood of purchases for booster seats. The government has responded by eliminating the sales tax on these seats. As a byproduct there is also rage and dislike for the new law. I don't have a problem with the new law as it is in place to protect children in crashes. Of course the best protection of all is don't drive like a tool, but you only have control over your own car, so there's always the possibility that some imbecile will ram you because they are late for work and need your lane.

Getting some of the kids that are over 6 years old, that have escaped the clutches of a booster seat, back into them will be a trick, but it the law. Other parents are a little less concerned with the new law though. One lady told the news that she won't fight to get her 6 and 7 year old back into booster seats. "I'm seven and I don't want to be in a booster seat," said her daughter. She explained that her friends would make fun of her if she went back in a booster seat now (wouldn't some of her friends be back in them too?!). The mom said "They've just taken safety (requirements) too far." and she added she's willing to risk the ticket. Makes sense, you don't want to fight with your kids to keep them safe, nor spend the additional money on booster seats, but you will risk higher insurance rates and $110 fines. She was quoted as saying "I don't think it's needed. We didn't have booster seats when we were their age,".

Why do they need booster seats again?As I recall, when I was little, it was also okay to let your kids run around the back seat of a car without any seatbelts at all, or even ride in the back of a pickup truck. A collision would turn them instantly into meat missiles who wouldn't have to be plagued with chronic injuries for the rest of their lives, since they would have pretty much been assured of death from a high velocity impact with a window or opposing vehicle. My parents even told me that it was time for them to sell there van, because when they hit the gas my stroller would roll to the back of the van, and on braking I'd roll to the front, making feeding during road trips very tricky. Yeah, I think going back to the old way was way better.

Is it just me or does this strike anybody else as moronic? Yes the law will inconvenience people for a brief window of two years, after which there will be no more kids in the overlap. People complained when seatbelts were made mandatory and then when boosters were mandatory. People complain, yes, but wouldn't they want to take the best possible care of their children? I'm afraid that if someone told me dressing them in shirts made of bubble wrap would keep them safer in a collision, I would be out at the store buying the by the roll. Sure they'd keep popping the bubbles and driving me insane, triggering road rage, but at least when I ram the guy next to me for not signaling, they'll be kept safe by their noisy cruising wear. What a great lesson to teach your kids too. There's never too high a cost for convenience, whether it be higher insurance, ticket fines, or even the potential of injury or death for your little ones. So long as you don't load all of your kids into the same vehicle, the family will still exist in one form or another right? Hell, you can always squeeze a few more kids to replenish right?

Idiots make me laugh, just keep them away from my kids.

25 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

we have had this law for a while now, and added to it is the age/size of children riding in the front seat, due to air bag injury. What baffles me is why this has to be a law...it is total common sense. Who's job is it to protect your own kids? Let me reiterate...WHO'S #$%^$%^& JOB IS IT TO PROTECT YOUR OWN KIDS! i won't even get started about the parent who can't control their 6 or 7 year old, for god's sake.

11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

If they didn't include the age limit factor, I would've been in a booster seat in grade 10. Then I'd have a good excuse for not having a girlfriend.

I agree with most of the new law, but age shouldn't be part of it. How can your age stop you from becoming injured in an accident? There's "Stupid" for ya.

12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

It's like you said, the 5, 6, 7 year olds that don't want to be in the booster seats again, and the parents not wanting to buy them and inconvenience themselves and the roominess of their backseat. PPl will get used to it, I already am.

2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

well, in our god forsaken country, the law is based on the child's weight, not age, which makes more sense to me.

2:42:00 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Seriously, I am glad the kids will be safe now. I just hope my kids make the 80 lbs by 8--I don't want them to have to ride in a booster much older than their friends.

5:24:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

It continually amazes me how careless some parents are with their children. They're so busy trying to be liked by their kids that they sometimes forget their real role as a parent and protecter of their kids. I liked what Katya said in one of her posts, "I see idiots!" which covers this situation very well.

7:25:00 PM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

It is rather amazing that parents couldn't come up with that conclusion themselves. Sheesh. And here I wake up every half hour just to make sure my kid is breathing.

8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I think everyone is so right, though--it is a pity it must be a law. I just know way too many parents who wouldn't do the minimum safety without a law (including letting little ones ride in the front seat with a seatbelt tucked behind their back, or carrying a baby in their arms). It happens so much, that apparently legislation is necessary.

What I don't get is why (at least in America) state laws vary. Why isn't it federalized? My 2 girls are so into the safety thing, they like to chant "click it or ticket".

12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Well I live in Ontario and any law that is for the safty of the kids is a good law. I bought child seats for my kids and didn't need any law to tell me but lets face it there are some brain dead parents. They are still trying to figure out how they got pregnant.
My brother just bought one of those new fancy seat for my neice. It looks like the seats required for a space shuttle take off.
There is no price on the safety of our kids.
Have a nice day.

4:05:00 AM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

When I was a kid, there weren't any laws regarding seatbelts or car seats or booster seats. But, there are probably a lot more idiot drivers now. Yeah, peaple complain for a while, and then it just becomes part of the norm.

I am wondering how officials are going to enforce this however.

"Excuse me, maam, but your child appears to be younger than 8 years old and is not in a booster seat."

"Officer, my son is 9, but he's just small for his age."

"OK, kid, show me your ID, or get out out the car and stand on this scale"

Seems like their would be more important things for law officials to take care of. Oh, well....

7:40:00 AM  
Blogger t~ said...

Ok... maybe i'm moronic just a bit... i'll admit it...

here your child is required to be at least 4 or 40 lbs to get out of the car seat. After that, the boosters are optional. When I had my mini-van, they were all in boosters (there was lots of room in the car); but now that all I have is a tiny '89 Camry, there isn't enough room in the back seat to accomodate them.

And maybe my kids are odd, but they actually would fight to see who would get to ride in the booster seat; but partly because it secured them in one of the most coveted places in the car: by the window.

And yeah, you know, I agree that I survived just fine as a kid w/o proper restraint mechanisms in place, but on the flip side, there weren't nearly as many cars on the road fighting for space.

12:06:00 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

oh... just one more thing... what also needs to be taken into account is the style of seat belt. Can't use them if all you have in the back are lap belts.

I'm waiting for the law that says you are no longer allowed to drive an older car if you have children because it doesn't conform to safety requirements.

12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I think the main reason that the Govt has used age as a standard is that often parents don;t actually have an idea of their child's weight. I know I don't know for sure how much my boys weigh.

Your children should be strapped safely into your car regardless of the law. It's common sense, folks!

12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

theres nothing more important than seat belts, the parents should have their kids interests at heart, not their cool rating with their friends...

how are the police going to know how tall a kid is sat down..??? and i can't tell anyones age let alone a child...

:0)

12:39:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Umm, not only should they stay away from your kids, they probably shouldn't have their own!!

2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

We have this law already. It is a good law. We don;t have a car but bought a seat to put into any car the kids travelled in. However, it is not policed properly and you still see kids climbing all over the seat, hanging out of windows etc Another thing I see is more kids fitted into the back of the car than the car can hold. Not only is this illegal but where are the heads of these parents?
Good Post

5:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People like to complain. And why are parents such wimps with their children? Who is in charge here? Who is mature here? Hello??

1:44:00 AM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

You said: "meat missles"--that was funny.


sigh. i miss the days when i could lie down between the back windshield and the backseat to watch the sky and telephone wires racing by . . .

i never thought of meat missles back then.

1:52:00 PM  
Blogger dan said...

having being in car accidents (i swear it wasn't my fault) i can say that seatbelts are great things.

i think the same can be said of booster seats, although i can never get my fat ass in one.

6:52:00 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It is crazy that they have to pass laws for adults to do the right thing.
BTW..it's not illegal to ride in the back of a pickup truck box here. And every year kids die in "freak accidents"..

9:01:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Those kids in the back of the pickups should be in boosters! :)

It is a shame that laws have to be made in place of commen sense. A lot of posters have good points on the flaws of the law. 'Nuff said!

10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Not that I know much about this because I don't have kids....but it is a pain to get the kiddos back in seats when they haven't needed to be in them.

3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

If either of my kids refused to get in a booster seat after being out of it for a couple of years, there'd more than likely be a full scale war between us and we wouldn't be going anywhere.

I'm shocked at how many children I still see climbing around in the back of cars these days...and OMG at the ones I see sitting on laps in the front seat!! STUPID PEOPLE!

8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

So like, if someone told that woman (the one who refuses to conform) that it is against the law to serve children food containing arsenic, her theory would lend her to go out and "get herself some" just so that she can prove she doesn't HAVE TO DO what the law states. Oh goody.
The trouble with people like that is that they share with us the same right to vote.
Scary when you realize this, isn't it?

Another wonderful post.

6:02:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Ah, the days of meat missiles! Good times, good times.

11:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links