Friday, May 05, 2006

Arriba!
Hola Amigos! It's fiesta time. This is of note as usually I tend to prefer siesta time.

Today is Cinco De Mayo for those that are interested. Up here in the frozen wastes of Canada we don't get near as much interest in this as they do down in the USA but it's still a good excuse to celebrate all things Mexican.

The celebrations began in Mexico to celebrate the May 5th defeat of the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City back in 1862 by Mexican and American soldiers. Napoleon III had sent a force over to "collect debts" from the Mexicans with the full intention of ruling there. He sent over a Hapsburg price to back his army which had enjoyed 50 years of undefeated wars with the latest in military technology. This technology (ironically enough) would likely be enough to defeat our woefully underequipped Canadian army even today). As the brightly coloured French Dragoons arrived the Mexican forces drew them off and slaughtered them and then proceeded to mop the battlefield with the remaining infantry. With the defeat in hand the Mexicans enjoyed backup forces from the Union forces in America to reinforce the defeat of the French troops and solidified Mexican independence. The defeat also stopped the flow of supplies to the confederate rebels, ultimately contributing to the eventual end of the civil war in America. (I'm sure American historians would argue otherwise but you can't deny that if the flow of supplies to the enemy stops, you definitely gain an advantage if even only temporary).

These days the occasion of Cinco de Mayo has become and excuse for the enjoyment of Mexican culture and food for at least one day in mass quantity. So grab your sombreros and a margarita and join the party. Guacamole and Quesadillas for everyone!! I particularly miss my days in the cleaning industry as we used to celebrate the Mexican holidays as an excuse to slack off.Sure he may be an offensive stereotype, but I still love the little rodent! Eventually I learned a bit more about the Mexican holidays and enjoy the history behind them. Given the chance I can tear through a plate of Mexican chow faster than Speedy Gonzales can tear down the street! I'm all out of tequila, but may have to remedy that tonight.

What do you do for Cinco de Mayo? Or if you haven't heard of it till now, are you likely to grab a taco and some tequila and join the party?



Make your own Margarita!

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/4 oz tequila
* 3/4 oz triple sec
* 1/2 oz lemon or lime juice
* lime wedge for garnish
* salt to rim the glass (optional)

PREPARATION:

1. Pour the ingredients into a shaker with ice cubes.
2. Shake well.
3. If desired, salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass.
4. Strain into the glass.
5. Garnish with the lime wedge.

Whack it in a blender with 3/4 cup of ice and it's a slick cure for summer heat (when we finally get some).

7 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

I had no idea of this holiday whatsoever.
Thanks for the education!
I wonder, I have a 300.00 bottle of tequilla at home, should I celebrate?

11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

Aw sh*t. I thought Cinco de Mayo was something entirely different.

12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Someone wrote a post about this last year was it you?
I have eaten an advocado does that count?

1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Yes I need a margarita :)

2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

umm, we had state music festival today. it was my father-in-law's birthday. i am now at home relaxing in my recliner. i'd say that's 3 more reasons to celebrate the 5th of May!

11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I've rediscovered Mexican food, now that I'm the household cook. Those taco kits are damned handy.

4:31:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

Ha! Cheech & Chong! Those guys rule! I keep telling my wife we have to rent some of those movies.

2:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links