Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Plundering the past

As I grow older I get to watch the movie industry try to target my generation by taking the toys and cartoons we loved and attempting to breathe new life into the franchise.

I have learned of a new attempt and can't help but be both impressed and worried. Fellow children of the 80's I present my latest find
. It's either going to be amazing or gut wrenchingly bad. If you are a massive fan of the Transformers comics and cartoons you can be sure that it won't be what you want it to be, but everyone else will likely think it's funky. With Michael Bay at the helm and Dreamworks on the effects it will be dripping with CG and explosions so who knows. The website has little else beyond some wallpaper and a teaster trailer. Well there is the highly entertaining message board where fervent nerd-on-nerd battles rage with random statements of dismay and outrage based on assumptions and conjecture.

I personally can't wait for the rest of my youth to be plundered for the mass market movie monster. They've already taken a run at most of the popular stuff as well as the bottom of the barrel so with the barrel scraped almost dry maybe we can look forward to such greats as Snorks - The Movie and the Thundercats live action movie. Who knows, maybe even we'll see a Slinky movie in the near future where our dear ubiquitous coil of steel conquers evil and gets the girl.

Slinky Hooooooooo!

14 Comments:

Blogger Oh great One said...

Plundered is right! So many old things are new again these days. Imagination people!

9:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Snorks?!?! Oh how I loved them!! *hehehe*
I miss the Snorks.

2:23:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Dear Pete,
I'm very sorry, but yesterday I meant to congratulate you on your photos being published. You must feel great! That was extremely cool to see while I was eating breakfast.

3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

A slinky movie. Oh please say it could happen!

The special effects on Transformers alone should be worth the price of a ticket if they do it right.

3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they could combine what's left into one big crap fest..

8:07:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

"nerd-on-nerd battles" ha ha!

8:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 22yr old son bought the thundercats box set a few weeks ago.Brings back memories.

12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Blue944 said...

Can't say I am looking forward to the Transformers. I do like that they are making all of my old favorite comic books lately.

3:51:00 PM  
Blogger LK said...

The Snorks, god I think I can still remember the theme song...

I'm still waiting for The Beany and Cecil movie, now that can't fail.

8:48:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I watched a really bad remake/modernise Scooby doo cartoon this morning .... boy it was so bad. FIngers crossed they make a good job of Transformers
( I seem to have written a similar post today too)

7:14:00 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

OK all that just went totally over my head... I think... No, I am sure... ;-)

I have noooooooooooo idea what that is all about. I guess that's what you get from being a DutchBitch...

1:07:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i'm gone 5 days and you haven't written a new blog post?????

12:03:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

they're making WHAT?? oh, damn. Do I have to tell my husband about this??

You know I'll now be muttering "transformers...robots in disguise!" for the rest of the day now. thx... :P

5:12:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Thumbs down to Michael Bay but you gotta love the fact the guy who did the voice of Optimus Prime on the cartoons is gonna be involved somehow.

11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links