Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Technological Threads

As technology progresses, the world learns to carry more gadgets. It's getting so it's tough to lug around all the gear that makes up the support system for our modern lives. I've got my camera, laptop, cellphone and iPaq with me most times. I live in fear of an EMP which would render me disconnected and without the distractions that get me through the day. We are beginning to see inroads being made into streamlining the deployment of all this technology. Not only are we benefiting from Bluetooth connections, which tether our audio and communications gear seamlessly together with our computers, but we are also experiencing another outreach of technology. A renaissance of sorts. Fashion and technology are coming together in a way we haven't seen since the Hypercolor shirts of the 80's - 90's. As a result, wired clothing is starting to progress beyond a mere novelty and is rapidly becoming the in thing to have.

What began years ago with that infamous scrolling belt buckle was upped with the launch of a parka targeted to snowboarders with MP3 controls sewn in to the arm and headphones tunneled through it has progressed into the mainstream thanks to technological advancements. Conductive fabrics and advanced circuitry have allowed this concept to spread into the ultimate geek wear! Companies like Technology Enabled Clothing and Scott eVest have begun to deploy clothing built for gadget freaks like myself. I remembered reading about the latest love child of Apple and Nike with their sport kit. For the past little while I have been wondering where this trend is headed and then I open the newspaper yesterday to see the most mind bending thing of all. To the left you will see lederhosen with sewn in controls for an MP3 player and Bluetooth connectivity! Now you too can remain connected to the future while seated firmly in your leather pants of yesterday! What is next is only up to the imagination. As clothing begins to evolve and merge with technology things can only get funkier.

Imagine nerds being able to go to a bar and download pickup lines to the inside of their jackets. The possibilities of being able to serenade your lover with some Barry White or Tom Jones through your wired boxer shorts. I wouldn't mind a shirt that displays images on it so that I can display torso of some muscular dude for when I go to the beach and be impressive from a distance, or maybe display a help message when accosted by some clipboard sporting loony in the mall. The possibilities are endless, but you have to make sure you don't go out in the rain or your technology enabled clothing is likely to fry you in your sport kit enabled shoes. I'm waiting for a suit that changes colour so that it is always in fashion that way I don't have to keep spending a couple hundred bucks every time I get invited to a wedding or fancy dress do. Given my luck though it would crash and I'd be left sporting the colour blue all day.

What item of clothing would you like to see developed, or maybe live in fear of?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from Denny's idea I would like to see clothing that switched teams depending on which one was winning at the time. Or depending on what crowd you accidently sat with..

9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

i think it would be inconvenient if it were in the undergarments. i like the idea of leather pants.

10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I'd like to see comfortable yet cute high heeled shoes. It would be a miracle!

11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I like the idea of the virtual image of what you want your body to look like through your clothes :P

2:09:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I am not the gadget girl, that's for sure, but the buckle is interesting. I would never wear it, but I always wanted one of those on the side or back of my car. With the whole road rage craze, I doubt I will get the chance to let other drivers know what I think of them.

6:03:00 PM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

Can I have pieces of clothing that automatically massage my body? That would be heavenly... as there are just places I can't reach by myself..

10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

Lederhosen are just so freaking cool by themselves, they don't even need the built-in gadgetry. NOW they're high up on some pedestal, unattainable.

4:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links