Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Living like a goldfish!



No it has nothing to do with all the holiday treats. Although that may come later. This is about finding a cure to the suffering of a chronic shutterbug. It's no secret that I like pictures. I take lots of pictures but all that enjoyment comes at a price. Pictures take up space. I archive them all to DVDs but that is slow and cumbersome should I choose to load them up. So what's a guy to do?

When I built my machine I knew this would happen so I put a 160GB hard drive in my machine. This served me well until I upgraded my camera thanks to the actions of some sticky fingered bandits. The large files caused me to fill up my system faster than anticipated. To alleviate the pressure it was time to expand again. I added on another 230GB of storage which is now nearing it's capacity as well. This puts me at a total of about 360GB of warehoused data. I don't really want to remove stuff from the drives as technology has gotten cheap, but I hit a snag. What a guy to do when his system is out of slots for drives? He runs out and adds on a shiny new NAS!



Network Attached Storage is the full name of this bad boy and inside it I have crammed two 320GB drives that run together to give me a whopping 640GB of additional room (bringing the total to a terabyte for you nerd folks like me). I think that it should hold me over for a week or two longer, what do you think? I have come to the conclusion that I am like a goldfish and will expand to fit whatever environment I am in. As such I look forward to the day when I have to build a shed in the backyard to contain all the chained together drives required to house my mountains of data.

I'm so happy that I have to dance!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rae Ann said...

Wow, that's a lot of storage! And lots and lots of pictures.

2:12:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Okay, so I'm not all that tech savy, is that like a giant version of an external hard drive?

3:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you ever look at what you are saving. Or is it just all about the saving, ha,ha.
I can't get the elf dance to load, so I just imagined it. Scary..

4:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have one of those! I think it looks like a toaster, hubby gave me an "are you serious?" look!
BUT apart from being great for storing info, it is brilliant when put on the floor underneath your desk... as it will keep your feet warm too

(and yes he did a little dance too when we got it!)(told you it would be scary if you two ever met!)
Xx Fizzy xX

6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh. sweet. I am so not showing this to my husband.

although you may have just given me a Christmas idea...

7:23:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Hey that fish looks a bit like my new tattoo!

Not too sure about all that computer talk but it sure look good, perha\ps you can teach me something about it one day x

5:24:00 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Sometimes a passion can turn into an illness!?

8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Oh my goodness! That is the best Elf Yourself face I've seen!!! So fun!

I'm a shutterbug, too, it's terrible. I spent 3.5 weeks in Europe this sumemr and came back with THREE THOUSAND pictures. It's terrible!

I like the gizmo, though... hmm... I may have to look into one of those!

11:16:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

That's one of the reasons I don't take many photos, then I'd have to store them! That storage thingy sounds handy though.

1:24:00 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

You just excited both the photographer in me and my inner geek. I've got about 360gb of storage and am quickly filling it up. I've been thinking about NAS for a couple of months.

I think you just gave me an idea of what to tell my parents I want for my birthday when they start asking next month.

1:41:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

It does look like a toaster. And that should be the logical next step; NAS + USB powered toaster. There's a toaster printer available out there somewhere that lets you toast blocky graphics onto your bread.

10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links