Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Marked by a meme

Jack!!

Not just content having killed me a while back, Mark Leslie has now decided to maim me. Oh.....meme me with . So in keeping the legal team here at chez Rainy happy here are The Rules

Pick a Christmas lyric that you've always had a question about and discuss it. Then either tag one or more people or either tag nobody and invite your readers to tag themselves and enjoy discussing the subject on their own.

The Song: Santa Claus is Coming to Town, by J. Fred Coots

Lyrics In Question:
    He sees you when you're sleeping,
    he knows when you're awake.
    He knows when you've been bad or good,
    so be good for goodness sake!

Maybe it's just me, but I love the fact that this lyric highlights the conflicted nature of the holidays. We sing this song to our children and we ramp them up for the holidays. We stuff them full of sugar and take them to all sorts of exciting places and then we get frustrated when they won't go to sleep. But this song is perhaps the biggest trigger of it all. We teach our children all year long to be wary of strangers. Don't talk to strangers, don't take candy from strangers, if a stranger tries to touch you you should yell and scream for help, etc.....

So to reinforce all this we celebrate by taking our children to the mall and telling them to sit on the lap of a large bearded man and spill their hearts' desires to him. To take candy and toys from him while he tells them what to do and to look happy when the camera is pointed at them. He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake? Is it just me or does the concept of a large bearded man (other than me) watching my children sleep terrifying? If this guy was dressing in dirty coveralls or jeans and ratty t-shirt in say June, we'd be pulling our children closer as he approached them. And he can do all this without the aid of the internet which is a whole other threat!!

So if your children can't sleep this holiday run then maybe it isn't the sugar or the excitement at all, as we first thought. Maybe it's the horror of being watched 1984 style....Big Brother at his finest. Either that or it's the the not at all veiled threats contained in same heartwarming ditty.

So...You better watch out, You better not cry
You better not pout, I'm Telling you why.
Santa Claus is coming to town.

Oh yeah baby. Behave yourself because this big creepy bearded guy is headed your way, and he knows if you've been bad of good!!! Sleep tight little ones. Merry Christmas mwahahahaaaaa!!!


Sadly I really like Christmas, but am in possession of a remarkably twisted mind. Perhaps this is why I loved The Nightmare Before Christmas so much?? Then again, if you love How The Grinch Stole Christmas how couldn't you.....it's what Tim was inspired by after all.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Aw man, now I'm not going to be able to sleep at all! I forgot all about the fact that this guy is watching me ALL THE TIME!

Seriously freaked out! Thanks a lot, Peter! :)

11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

This is a pretty cool meme, I might try it.

And Nightmare Before Christmas is my fave :)

12:32:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I'm going to have to try this one as well!
as a kid I remember being afraid to talk to santa for this very reason. Mixed signals indeed!

12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

You are bad and I mean that in a good way.

Take Care
Michael

1:53:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

if he is watching me at all, he will be bringing me coal after coal,lol..

i hope you do better..is that you in the santa outfit?

3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Priceless! Now I'm re-evaluating "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Pete, nice to see your photolistical snapshot in the newspaper today. I heard the bad news, though, that the baby promo which was supposed to appear in the spot beside it, got foobed (as in fubared, as in didn't run).

6:14:00 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

I think Santa is related to God, or at least they have the same mental condition. God watches us all of the time, too. As a kid I always wondered how that could work with so many people in the world.

7:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that song just gave parents an out when the kids got older.
"Look, he's been arrested for stalking little kids. Santa's done with.."

7:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warmth welcome to my Crack Me Up Party on Friday 15 dec! Prepare some joke or some fun to bring and to have FUN :-)

Tell everybody to come!

Read more at my blog…

11:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the stalking Santa photo. For the rest I have "no comment".

11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

You made him sound all creepy. Happyandblue2 - that's funny. When we were kids my mum just told us straight out she wasn't going to buy us presents, the unsentimental old bag.

12:59:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

you sent a shiver up my spine.

11:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links