Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Cinematic Chaos


Having been tagged by Wondywoman with the film meme I feel it only fair to warn you. As in life, the actions of one trigger the suffering of many.

Total number of films I own on DVD/video:
It is my tendency to purchase a movie previously viewed for about $15.00 instead of paying about $30.00 for myself and Mrs. Rainy to watch it in the cinema (if we don't get munchies). That way if the movie is good I can watch it over and over and if it's crap I can sell it for $5.00 and cut my losses. We have recently undergone an extreme media purge at casa Rainy. It was either get a larger house or ditch some media so I opted for the much more affordable extrication of media. Pre-purge totals were Tapes - 250 DVD's - 200 and the Post-purge totals Tapes - 100 DVD's - 135


The last film I bought:
The Terminal - I thought this would be like a lame castaway in an airport, but it was actually a great flick. If you get a chance it's actually a really good watch. Tom Hanks actually does a great job of selling himself as a non english speaker and has some fantastic solutions to problems. My wife kept smacking me and saying "Why can I see you doing that?"

The last film I watched:
On TV -
Flight of the Navigator was playing the other night and I had to watch it. I remember watching this in the theaters as a kid and being blown away by the effects. I can't decide if it was the need to see this again or to listen to Paul Reubens (aka Pee-Wee Herman) who was credited as Paul Mall as the ship's voice. A fanciful and farcical romp through space and time. Compliance


In the theater - Star Wars : Revenge of the Sith!!! Jedi, Sith, no sleep, what more needs to be said.

Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me:

The Star Wars Trilogy
Yeah, this is actually three of them, but they are simply parts of a larger whole. These bad boys are the ultimate fall back for me. With time on my hands and uncertainty as to what I'll watch you can pretty much count on the Empire being in my DVD player.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
If your brain needs a stretch, and you can actually find it, you should give this one a watch. You'll never see bubble wrap, or people named John, the same way again.

Mr Holland's Opus
Sappy, yes, but as a former band geek, I can honestly say it's neat to see a movie about a fictional teacher that reminds you of a real teacher who touched your life. I had a music teacher (Actually a husband-wife team) that were as good as this man was. Grab your kleenex and give this one a watch when you feel the need for sappy and tear-jerking.

Office Space
Mike Judge, the creator of Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill gives a live action a great crack in this one. If you've ever wondered what I'd be like in a cubicle, this is your change. Pay close attention to the scene with the fax machine/printer. I've actually done this on several occasions. The guys in the plant actually line up for a shot at whatever I'm bludgeoning. See also a similar regard for unnecessary paperwork and overstructured management. If you work in an office environment or hospitality industry this is a must watch, but you will see elements of any job you have in this one. Yes folks, I even own a red swingline as seen in this picture. It's on top of the hutch guarded by Pinhead.

se7en
Possibly one of the better attempts at psychological horror in quite some time. This one reacquainted us with horror and, as a result of its success, set the tone for many followers. Movies are still shot to look like this gritty and dark setup today. Sadly, in my messed up mind, I had a good laugh during this one. My wife (then girlfriend) hates horror movies and can't bear to be near even the sound from one. I play them after she goes to bed, or while she's downstairs on the internet. A buddy of mine and I were going to see this one and she asked what we were up to. He, being as nasty as I, got this conversation going:
"We're going to see se7en, you coming?"
"Isn't that a scary movie?"
"Naah, you;d like it. It's a love story with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman in it?"
"Oh yeah? Mind if I tag along?"
"Not at all, grab your coat"
We sat through the whole thing laughing as she swore to murder the pair of us while we slept. I still don't know why she didn't get up and leave (She drove, so I'm glad she didn't). To this day, she still won't go to movies with the pair of us.

Now on to the five unlucky victims of the fallout from this;

Jodster
The Archies
Happy and Blue
Hick
Dr McGoo

9 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

i havent seen a few of those- will check em out! lmao at the "purge"...im in no danger since i dont have a dvd player, but can see me collectin them if i did...

8:04:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

What titles are you purging, Rainy Pete? I pick up used movies when they're on sale, too.

8:16:00 AM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Fantastic list Rainy Pete - I liked Office Space, it is very easy to identify with somehow... Very good list indeed - thank you! As for Se7en - I swear to this day it is the scariest film I have ever seen

Wondy x

8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Mr. Holland's Opus was excellent...heck, most of the ones on your list were excellent (I haven't seen office space yet but now, I think I might).

8:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Holland's Opus is a wonderful movie!
blue2go

8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Schotzy said...

Se7en was wonderful, have you seen Along came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, with Morgan Freeman I loved those and Just Cause with Sean Connery. S

1:10:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Is it wrong that Richard Drefus will always have a special place in my heart, after American Graffiti?

4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I loved Mr Hollands Opus and Se7en is a great thriller!

Oh yeah....I've tagged you over at my place too.....sorry! :)

5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I leave you alone for one day and see what happens?

You are lucky that your wife decided to marry you after that little scary movie trick. I guess I will have to break down and see se7en.

11:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links