Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Halloween Sacrifice

Ever have one of those days?  Apparently even pumpkins can too!

Around this time every year the thoughts of the little ones turn to the sugary glee of Halloween. Families begin to agonize over what costumes to buy or assemble for the kids. Grownups begin to revel in the possibilities that open up to them as they too can dress in a costume and play for a night.

Some grownups take their fun a little too seriously and thank god for them. I am a Halloween junkie and have been since I was little. I was blessed with parents as creative and crazed as myself and this has resulted in an addiction to all things macabre. My parents are a little more normal in that they are Halloween centered. My tastes run a little further across the year. Christmas is safe, but everything else gets a little strange sometimes. My co-workers often shake their head when they walk past my desk as it is guarded by Pinhead, Gollum and a cute little teddy bear.

This love for Halloween has stretched across many things, and life has allowed for extreme Halloween celebrations as well as denying me the fun of the season. One thing remains constant however. My Jack-O-Lantern carving takes places whether I'm home or not. My skills have evolved over time so that my father actually can't wait to receive his carvings to display with pride on his porch. I usually do a strange one and then a readily recognized one.

My tools have evolved from a simple kitchen knife as a child to several smaller tools and even a rotary tool. The results are fun and I seek to challenge myself every year. I am looking for ideas for this year's victims. What do you think I should try to hack this year?
Hamilton Bulldogs team logo
Family portrait of Dad, my brother and I

17 Comments:

Blogger Rae Ann said...

You did those? WOW! I love the teddy bear. Darth Tater guards my desk, as well as an assortment of beanie babies. But I also have a lot of skeleton stuff year around. This is the best time of year to find that stuff. How about a Star Wars jack-o-lantern?

9:51:00 AM  
Blogger dan said...

very cool indeed.

i might dess as freddy kreuger this year...again

10:39:00 AM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

very cool jackolanterns... carve me one?!
I need a cool costume idea, I'm considering going incognito this year to a friend's party so I can be even more obnoxious than usual!

12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Totally sweet.
But I too, have that problem this year. After carving an average of 4 frightening jack-o-lanterns a year, for the last 10 years or so, I'm out of scary ideas.

Oooh! Martha Stewart!

1:56:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, as Denny's already mentioned...those are pretty darn impressive.

We're not big on Halloween down here, so I don't have to concern myself with such things as pumpkin carving and costume making.

I can't imagine what you'll come up with this year to carve, but I know one thing for sure...I wanna see it on here when it's done!

5:01:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Awesome pumpkins!

- Thought I should finally leave a note since I have been lurking for a few weeks now!

5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I think you should do you with the clown nose. That would be cool.

I am very impressed by the way.

8:06:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

WOW! Those are impressive!

9:55:00 PM  
Blogger Marj said...

You truly have a gift!

I haven't really told many people yet... (it's a surprise to my blog readers hee hee), but i'm going as Sadako (Samara) from Ringu (The Ring).

It might be cool to make a scary picture of her coming out of the tv.

Here's a video comparison for other pictures:
Ring Movie Visual Comparison

Halloween is my favorite, and i mean FAVORITE holiday. I'll be sure to post pics after i finish the costume :D

~wyn

9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

These are too cool! I love Halloween too:)

10:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Adrienne. You should do you with the clown nose. Those are GREAT!

I had a work aquaintance that was obsessed with halloween. Her office was decorated 365 days a year with spider webs and other things thought to be halloween decorations. She wore black a lot, including black nail polish. I think, though, her issues went a little deeper than the love of halloween. :)

10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I love Halloween it is too fun. Very nice!

12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

are these your own creations here in your blog then?

You should totally come to this I'm gonna be there!

1:49:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Wow! Those are amazing. I'm lucky if mine even looks like a face!

3:20:00 PM  
Blogger sands of time said...

Those are WOW.
I have a pinhead figure too and one of Micheal Myers.

3:46:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

great pumpkin images :)

7:28:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

YEAH!! Three Stooges!!! And those figurines kick ass! I think I like the teddy bear even more than Pinhead.

Halloween is great; best holiday of the year.

4:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links