Friday, January 13, 2006

I'm not too sure.....

Sounds about right.
Today is a day for those of you that have always doubted. Whatever you doubted whether religious, scientific or social you can revel in this day, International Skeptics Day. If you are prone to being skeptical then take heart, you aren't alone. There are the Skeptics Canada and Ontario Skeptics Society for Critical Inquiry as well as many others around the world to point your skeptical brain at. Dependent on your view of them skeptics are either narrow minded folk who take a counterpoint against all ideas and concept or they are the counterbalance to radical free thinking folk. Many skeptics believe that skepticism is the basis of the modern scientific method of:

    I. The scientific method has four steps
    1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
    2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
    3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
    4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

I, for one, have always been skeptical of a few things so I'm not sure if I should be planning a celebration for this one or not.
    Is there indeed life in the universe beyond the Earth, or not. I'd like to think there is otherwise I'm just really, really odd instead of out of place like Mork from Ork.

    Why is it that car keys are deemed lost when you can't find them? I think that they wander off when you aren't looking and are fully aware of their location. This doesn't make them lost, but simply somewhere you haven't thought to look yet.

    I don't believe for a minute, despite all the funky advertising, that a bigger, fancier car leads to a better life. I think it's a clever tactic in which cars are slowly infiltrating our world to live at the top of the food chain.


I can tell you that when I first heard of this day I was excited because I thought I was a good skeptic. After checking out some of the websites I can say that I am honestly an amateur. I'm terrified of going too far down the path of pure skeptic tough, as I firmly believe that once you begin down the path there is only one logical conclusion. You will begin to become skeptical of everything until you reach that pure and perfect peak of skepticism at which you point you begin to doubt your very existence and vanish in a cloud of doubt. I think my family might miss me so I'll blindly accept certain things just in case.

I am still going to celebrate by watching as many episodes of Mythbusters as I can find and calling local scientists, asking them to prove what they know. Whatever your take on the situation, whether joyous or skeptical may you all have a happy Skeptics Day. I for one, doubt that you can, but we'll see.

10 Comments:

Blogger sands of time said...

I always think friday the 13th is a lucky day.

10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Minerva said...

I LOVED the tone of this...especially the last line...That made me laugh SO much..

Minerva

11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Sisiggy said...

Who told you it was Skeptic's Day? Probably some way to make money. You know how these organizations are. You get sucked into their celebration and all of a sudden they're trying to sell you things. Have you actually met anyone from those two organizations? It's too late now, though. They've probably determined your e-mail address and are ascertaining where you live as I type this. They'll be knocking at your door by tonight asking for cash.
But I doubt it.

11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I have always been sceptical of sceptics. Are they really sceptical or do they think they know something the rest of us don't know. I think they are just guessing. So I don't trust them..

12:01:00 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

LOL! Mythbusters also has my son captivated. It reminds me of when snopes came out, my old man was hooked on getting the real answers.
BTW, that picture of you and your nuts is hot. (said like Paris stupid Hilton)
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

No, but a bigger, fancier car leads to sexier driving situations.

1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Mr. Peterain:

Speaking of Mythbusters, while having Mrs. Mangela clean my teeth at the dentists yesterday, she mentioned that she never leaves her toothbrush out of the medicine cabinet for fear of contagion. I laughed - Ha, ha, ha - "don't you know that the mythbusters busted that myth months ago", I mumbled in spite of that sucky tubish contraption wedged down my gullet. Alas, she was also a skeptic and is, in fact, skeptical of skeptics! How far she has trod down that woefully slippery slope of disbelief... And I am not a crank.

3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

hmmmmmm.....I just don't know....

7:26:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I love myth busters. My fave was the one with the hot exploding jaw breaker. Good stuff.

2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that Skeptics Day is real.

9:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links