Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The race is on!

Behold my mighty riches!
Money has always interested me. Not that I wouldn't enjoy more money, but that's not quite why it has interested me. Money has the interesting ability to make people lose their minds. Just hang around a lottery booth when the jackpots get high and see the mob trying to get their winning ticket and you'll see what I mean. Reality shows are crammed full of people who will do anything for a shot at a few dollars, and for a million they'll give up their friends and family for a month or more.

I've always found it astonishing that no matter how much money anybody makes, or has, they never have enough. We all seem to know this as we see the likes of Bill Gates and Donald Trump Trump and the like constantly driven to make more and more money. Yet we are foolish enough to try to pursue more money in the hopes that will improve our lot in life. The interesting part is that in the race for more money, we rarely have time to live our lives. People work such long hours that they rarely see their kids anymore. I know married people who see each other maybe an hour a day if they are lucky. You can measure success in whatever way you want, but I think that if you want to be happy, you should really learn to be content with what you have. Set goals and gain what you can, but always be aware of the greater cost. I would never want to be so busy that I can't stop and have a coffee with a friend, or play with the kids. Money's like drinking folks, you have to know when to say enough is enough.

While it's true that money can't buy happiness, it is also true that plenty of money can distract you from true happiness. It seems hard to be sad if you live in a massive house and own a few boats and planes. There are people out there who live the "good life" as we are lead to believe that would happily trade it all for a simpler life and people that truly care about them. I'm glad I'm not wealthy as I am not surrounded by people trying to suck up to me. What's to gain by kissing my ass? Bad breath. I proclaim this year as the year of the self audit. Take a good solid inventory of what you are and what you have. Don't just look in your drawers and houses, but look into yourself. Are you really happy? Is it a new TV that will make you happy? Probably not, but it'll give you something to watch when you are depressed. Instead of moping about how crappy your luck is and how life's keeping you down you should take a stand and make changes. You can sit and grumble, or you can turn things upside down and find the true way. The sooner you start living for yourself and stop trying to keep everyone else happy, the better off you'll be.

The funniest part about re-prioritizing your life and goals is that you can sometimes be completely stunned at the things you learn about yourself when you take a moment to really understand who you've become over the years of chasing your goals.


Disclaimer - This is a direct side effect of people with money complaining about their lack of it. This also is in response to them asking me how I can be so happy most of the time when I'm not wealthy and work is a little nuts. Find your happy place and try not to laugh at the rich people, they can afford really good lawyers.

15 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I'd be happy if I had a couple dollars to buy an ice cream cone.

Nope, I don't need a lot of money, I can't imagine, nor do I want to, being so rich that we forget what is important.

Love of family for one, and the simple pleasures in life.


I wonder how many rich people stop to listen to the birds singing or stop to admire a simple flower in a field.

9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Great post! And if people think that money and fame make people happy then they should ask all the cheating, divorcing celebrities how much happiness their money and fame have brought them.

9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

When someone asked Rockefeller how much money was enough, he replied, "A little more." That's so true for most of us. Whatever economic level you achieve, your expenses then grow to match, and you are constantly wanting "a little more".

Great post, Pete.

9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Rurality said...

You are so right about all this! I saw on tv once where millionaires were complaining like that about not having enough... crazy people.

I still buy lottery tickets now and then though... but mostly because it makes me happy to dream up things to do with my imaginary money LOL.

10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

In an act of total unselfishness I propose that everyone send all their money to me this year. I promise to not give it back to you so that you can be happy all year long..

10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

A good stinky fart at an unexpected moment makes me smile. How many billionaires can attain happiness from farts?

1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Mayo said...

I have been thinking the same thing actually here lately...money is very manipulative...or perhaps the people that foster these dead presidents. It really starts you mind wondering what ones motive really is.

4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Memphis said...

The lack of money is a bit of a problem, too. But the constant quest for more of it does indeed cause a lot of problems. The stock market today has created a lot more lack of money than there was yesterday. I think I'm going to go home and go to bed.

5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

While I don't believe money can buy happiness, it can certainly bring a measure of security and comfort - leaving us to concentrate on the stuff that really matters without being distracted by the need to find food or a cardboard box to sleep in.

7:35:00 PM  
Blogger AlmightyHeidi said...

I am still waiting to win the lottery...and spend it all on me.

I am having a very selfish day.

10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

yeah, I haven't stopped buying lottery tickets, yet but neither am I the first in line checking them every weekend.

you're right - it is truly who you can become, or not become, while too busy chasing excess.

love the new Unbalanced World, btw!

1:33:00 AM  
Blogger Sisiggy said...

But, really, it's not the money. Character is character. I've met very altruistic rich people who are rich because they give it away. Not many, because it seems to go against common sense. But that's the way the universe works. I've learned when I'm feeling pinched or lacking, to give something away, money or object, something I think I need. Always, always, always I end up better off than before.

7:39:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"The sooner you start living for yourself and stop trying to keep everyone else happy, the better off you'll be."

Those are words to live by, Rainypete!!! You really should put that on a bumper sticker...you'd sell a million of 'em!!! :)

Seriously, that is SO true! :)

8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Excellent words of advice, my friend!

9:49:00 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Surely enough is enough at some point right? I wonder why so many can't realize this.

12:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links