Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gotta get a console!


This weekend was the launch of Sony's new, overhyped, Playstation 3 and all the chaos that goes with it. The frenzy began early on Friday with the radio on my drive to work reporting that lineups had already begun the day before. Lineups stretched around blocks, people stood in lines for days, the media had a field day as they scampered around covering it all. While there was much of the usual news with disgruntled folks grumbling about the limited supply while others got beaten up, trampled and even shot, there was one news item that brought a smile to my face.

In our consumer driven society where the latest and greatest must be had at all costs I loved the fact that these guys decided to turn their sights on a new PS3. After lining up like everybody else and obtaining a console Ben & Victor walked out in front of the line up of people who would not be getting one and proceeded to beat the everliving crap out of the console before their very eyes. People expressed the amusement and anger and all in all a good time was had by all who watched who already got a console. Those that didn't were less than amused but really folks, it's important to remember that it is only a videogame system. If I had the disposable income for a stunt like this I would love to do it. It wasn't only the console that was broken though. Apparently the hearts of many a console game junkie were smashed as well. If you want to see why some of these folks shouldn't breed you should stop by and cruise through the hate mail. Unless you teach English.....then you should just skip over that bit.

If you want to watch the mayhem then click here to check it out. I've got to get me one of those safety hats he wore to the store.If the first PS3's are as stable as the first PS2's were then they probably did someone a favour anyhow. Me I will simply pine for the new Wii.....just not this one

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I used to teach English, so thanks for the advice about skipping the mail.

3:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I think that the PS3 is probably over hyped I think smashing it was kind of stupid and mean..

8:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a stupidly expensive way to make a point, but whatever works for them, I guess!

There does seem to be a little Wii fever going around ... who knew such a silly name could be so addictive?? :P

10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

The look on all the gamer dorks faces when they see the sledge hammer is priceless. I can't imagine standing in line for 18 hours for anything, let alone a video game console. And I'm about as big a nerd as they make.

Of course, I'm still loving Mario Kart on my $99 Nintendo Game Cube.

1:45:00 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

That was interesting performance art. Kinda wasteful though.

6:54:00 AM  
Blogger TheatreChick73 said...

A local radio station was giving PS3s away before they were available to purchase. Then the afternoon DJs found out a good portion of them ended up on EBay instead of the winners enjoying themselves. To make a point they took the last PS3 they had to give away and sent it over Niagara Falls. You can see it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPojde06XA

It ticked a whole lot of people off. But I've never laughed so hard.

11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving with your family!

6:14:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

THAT is awesome!

My hat off to the 'smash my PS3'ers'

I hope it brought tears to the eyes of all those morons who have created themselves such a lack of life that it affords them the time to spend days in line waiting for a video game.

8:16:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Thanks for the heads up re: the hate mail. Otherwise, I have nothing new to say about the PS3. Or the cabbage patch, or the tickle-me-elmo, or the ferbie. heck, i never got a rubix.

10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

I'm so conflicted. I was raised by a Nintendo system, and am very partial to them. On the other hand, despite the terribleness of the PS1 and failre rate of early PS2s, I'm a Sony guy to the bone. I don't know which I'd prefer: Wii, or PS3. Either way, I'll wait a few years, until the prices are reasonable.

1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i love the stunt they pulled. i absolutely love it. and i'm grateful you shared this with us for i hadn't heard of it. a great lesson to be taught. there are real things to worry about in this earth and people so easily loose their priorities.

10:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links