Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Weather be damned!

I am a rare breed in these parts. I am a Canadian that doesn't grumble too much about the weather. My only lament of late was that this winter wasn't so much of the winter persuasion, but rather like and extremely extended autumn. Actually I seem to remember that this autumn was actually colder than the winter. Well that all turned around yesterday and the winter I have been pining for landed with an icy wet slap.

The roads and terrain in general were coated in a frozen crust that turned my 40 minute morning drive to work into a 2 hour crawl. The weather caused numerable accidents as people did what they always do in the first winter's blast. They drove like it was summertime and looked on with dismay as their car protested their actions by hurling itself into the ditch out of self defense. The crawl to work and subsequent work day had me yearning for the snow days that we all enjoyed as children (and which my wife and kids enjoyed yesterday). I could have been out in the wet and the freeze flirting with a broken neck or twisted ankle instead of earning my pay. While driving home I managed to spot something that had me pulling over the car and reaching for my camera. Apparently I wasn't the only one who decided that it was time to play.

I parked my car and hopped out with my gear and started snapping away for fun. The frozen scenery was fun to navigate and I ended up with neither a broken neck, nor a twisted ankle. I did get a bunch of pictures though.



While flirting with the surf and spray to get some of these pics was fun, it was nothing compared to the actions of those who had me pulling over in the first place. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the arctic surfers.



These brave folks were all geared up in their wet suits and riding the extreme chop that mother nature was hurling at the shoreline. I guess when you gotta surf, you gotta surf. So now that winter has finally arrived in these parts I intend to enjoy it to the fullest. Not that I own a surfboard, but I'll think of something. Many will grumble and wish it was warmer and just hunker down inside until the summer, when the excessive heat will have them hunkering down indoors and wishing for an end to all the heat with some colder weather. That's just the Canadian way....

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got our first real snow. I guess we're just a bit up and east of you guys. We missed out on all the freezing rain places elsewhere got.

1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess that I can't say that I've seen everything now, but I sort of feel like I should.

4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Great pics! Our winter came late too. Arrived today. Weird weird weather we've been having. though I'm not complaining. It wasn't bad having 50 and 60 degree days in January. Not bad at all.

PS. No way would I go into that cold water. LOL!

5:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally a picture that shows that nuts don't really freeze off in the cold..

5:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surfing - Yay!

Surfing in freaking cold weather - Nay

6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

that's a true addiction.

10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind winter and the snow and ice. I just don't like freezing. You're really making me miss the car too. There is so much I would like to do if I wasn't relying on buses. I found more houses for you, in Newmarket this time. I didn't post to Flickr cause I only got one photo through the car window while my brother stopped for a gas fillup. He isn't sympathetic to my need to stop and take photos. If you are heading to Newmarket for any reason check by the highway, along Vivian/ Mulock. I doubt the houses will be there much longer. They have already started widening the road and they are very much abandoned.

1:47:00 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Brrr, just brrrr.

2:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Artic Surfin ...I'm Gobsmacked

Love the photography especially the one with the single red berry on it

10:37:00 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Burrrr!!! I'm cold just looking at them! We are just starting to get winter as well. It's an adjustment!

11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

It looks cold, alright.

1:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

I'm with you, pal. Bring on the snow, bring on the cold. Vive le Canadian winter!

6:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Around here, winter doesn't usually get going until mid-January anyway. Icy pictures are so pretty!

4:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links