Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Recuperation



A little like a used candle wick I am a little burnt out. The last part of last week was utterly draining, but I wouldn't have traded it away. With a little bit of R&R on Saturday I managed to slowly feel a little more human again and it has been a slwo and steady climb back to rested. Add a broken card reader to the mix, not allowing me to download photographs and it's been a weird few days for me. Just how burnt out was I? Lets just say I managed to generate one of those stories that the kids will laugh about when they grow up.

Friday night I put the kids to bed as my wife had gone to a retirement dinner for a friend of hers. Given that we had to get to soccer in the morning I decided an early bed time was in order since we had been up really late for the last two nights (GO DOGS GO!). While I was watching the kids stare at their dinner and try not to pass out I kept hearing about storm and tornado warnings and watched the rain fall sideways outside the window. At about 6:00pm the kids were done and I took them up to bed and made the mistake of sitting on my bed for a moment. The net result being that I passed out myself. My daughter had a nasty habit of wandering into our bedroom at 4:00 in the morning and telling us it was wake up time so we put a digital clock in her room a while back and instructed her that she wasn't to get out of bed unless it had a 7 at the front. So at 7:20 she wanders into our room and wakes me up telling me that there was a 7 on the clock. I stagger out of bed feeling more tired than when I put them down and head downstairs. After putting the kettle on and making some pancakes I look out the window and start to re3ally worry about those tornadoes as the sky is getting blacker and blacker. It wasn't until I heard the voice of the night guy on the radio that I realized that my daughter had gotten out of bed a mere hour after laying her down!!!

So after out bedtime pancakes I laid her back down under protest as I explained that it was still night time. I then proceeded downstairs where I finished my tea and banged my head against the wall while trying not to wake her up yet again with the sound of my laughter. Good times.....good times.

Oh, and for the record....when relating a story like this to a friend while sitting on his deck, wait for him to swallow his beer or be enveloped in a fog of beer and spit!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mackey said...

Hi there!
I came over from Hellas blog.
I love your pics!!!
You have the cutest nose evah!!:)

10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

You big nut!

12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Hello, Rainy Pete. Since you have stolen my soul, I want to let you know how much I enjoy your very funny (not funny looking) blog. I am visiting from Dan's Not The New Scientist.
Leslie

12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks for the warning. Put in there that it also goes for Diet Coke...

2:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mackey said...

Sweet Jesus!!! You tried to steal my freakin' soul!!!
Good try.....little did you knwo I don't have one!!
he he he he he

5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

I didn't know who to cheer for - the Bulldogs, or my cousin who played for the Hershey Bears. Oh wait. I didn't cheer at all because I didn't even know about this hockey playoff thingy.

6:57:00 PM  
Blogger jeanie said...

Works on coffee too!!!

I did that to my crewmates once - woke them for the 6am rowing session at 2am as I read the clock wrong - in the middle of winter - set off the burglar alarm and all!!

8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

that happened to a workmate of mine too.

I haven't been dropping by to check your blog much lately, but I like the "new" look.

3:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links