Friday, April 22, 2005

Children and Construction Sites

Rainypete's New Summer Home



Have you ever tried to build a house with a kid in the middle of it? I pride myself on being able to think like a child. My wife thinks this is a terrible character trait and wishes I would grow up at least a little bit. Especially when we are negotiating a mortgage at the bank and I throw a tantrum when the rates are higher than I wanted.

Every now and then I have a relapse and think like a grownup for some ludicrous reason. This usually makes for some fun with the small one. My daughter always thinks like a little kid (Go figure, she's two!) and reminds me that growing up sucks. With the recent warm weather we acquired some housing for the summer and I decided to make my daughter aware of its existence.

Note to the world, never assemble plastic housing before dinner with the youngsters present unless you think like a child or are very patient. My wife got a good laugh when I was trying to assemble the house while my daughter played with its various components (You haven't lived until you've seen a child setting a tea party up on a roof slab). The wife said I should wait until bedtime to assemble it and I told her I didn't want to wait that long, then I realized she meant the kidlet's bedtime. As she shook her head at me again, my daughter and I had a grand time playing inside the half completed house. Every time she ran outside to get something else for the plastic house I would screw together another piece.

The fun part is that she kept asking me to move out of the way to bring in her latest additions. By the time I had it all screwed together it was quite full as my ample corpse was inside it with her, a chair, a bucket and various other toys. I had a great time in our new cottage but have to say, it isn't as roomy as I would like. Once she had gone inside, in protest, for her dinner I got to remove the plastic house like a shirt. Thankfully the two windows are on opposite sides and the door allows me to see out of it while I'm wearing it. I mean when I'm inside it, uh ...... yeah that's it.

Now if I could only set up a small fishing hole beside it I'll have the perfect vacation spot. If the neighbors catch me fishing in their decorative pond again I think they may call the police. $75.00 a fish my eye, they're just goldfish!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet and fun! You DO think like a kid, and that's not a bad thing.
blue2go

8:40:00 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

thats such a cute story, i was helping hubby put up our new tent on his own, he wanted no help whatsoever and was cussing all the time...if i'd been running in and out of it I think he would have probably stabbed me with a tent pole...

he has no patience and is such an adult...your new holiday home sounds dandy...

:0)

8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I usually have to leave the area when The Peanut King assembles anything. I ask if he needs help and I get a "Yeah, you can help by leaving me alone!!!" So I do. See, he tends to get a bit moody when there's "some assembly required"! :)

10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

There is nothing more fun than an audience. I think that the worse things are going, the more people should be around. it makes it more fun.

11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Gosh. I used to give my kids a big cardboard box to play in. No assembly required...added advantage of buying something big to get the cardboard box.

Bad mom...bad mom.

11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

What a sweet story. I love the part when she had asked you to move to make way for her things. What a cutie.

6:18:00 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

LOL. Good story. I want to build a house now too..

9:47:00 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

ROFL... we had one of those for our kids too... great fun!

Don't ever lose the ability to think like a kid... it makes life so much more fun and you so much more fun to be with...Someday your grandkids will adore you!

9:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links