Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

Well it's been a busy day so I'm posting late. Tonight we go and perform the final task of our conversion to official, suburban family folk. The day has arrived when we surrender our desire for flash and style and succumb to the allure of convenience and usefulness. That's right folks, tonight we go pick up the Rainyvan!

After a long drawn out search (spanning a few hours one morning) we went to start all the paperwork last week. While we endured additional sales pitches and financing jargon, our children made the saleswoman earn her money. The dealership was intelligent enough to have a play area for the kids so that parents wouldn't flee immediately upon their child's boredom. This, to me, was ingenious. I foolishly thought to myself "Hey! Free babysitting, right on!". Little did I realize that the free babysitting would end up costing us almost $30,000! The upshot is that we can stop borrowing other people's vans when we want to travel and move large items. The downside is that I will soon become the world's freight whore. Still, it won't be so bad as owning a pickup truck.. Those things pretty much cement your freight as a post work hours freight jockey, and permanent house moving buddy The only other grim point in all this is that haggling with the dealer for an inflated trade in to make the sale don't work if you buy last year's clearout. They offered me a whopping $100 for a solid, running car, so if anyone needs a $500.00 1994 Sundance just let me know and I'll hook you up.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

DON'T DO IT! Minivans are the equivalent of pocket protectors or suspenders. You are signing away all rights as Big Strong Man, and opening the flood gates of Kick My Ass, Please.

4:16:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Before you take Scarlett's advice on Minivans, ask her how many times she's had sex in one.

4:27:00 PM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Here in the UK they are known as Mum Trucks and are the scurge of the roads! You go Pete!!

4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Ouch! A hundred? I think a junkyard would pay more. My buddy even got offered $200 for his non-solid, non-running, rusted-out 1990 Integra. Tell them "no deal!" and walk away. They won't want to lose the sale.

5:47:00 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Ha Ha Ha I hope you did that in his face.
I bet he would sell it for more or use it as a write off somewhere.
The van looks cool, or I'm getting old.
THey seem to be a in thing now and concidering the size of the average car no a day I would rather he in a Van than a little bottle cap

Congrats on the new wheels

10:19:00 PM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

They drive nice, huh? Soon, you'll wonder how you EVER got along without it.

7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Welcome to the minivan world. You will laugh, you will cry. There will be joy and pain. But in the end, I think it's worth it.

Good luck.

3:05:00 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Congrats. We still have our 1st van: A Honda Odyssey. I remember longing for a cool car and my dear hubby even let me sit in one and dream... I have to say, it's room, view, and beverage holders (ours is almost 9 yrs old I think) changed our world. However, the same young kid who loved the van, "decorated it" now wants us to buy the sports car so she can learn to drive on a "Cool car." Yeah right, in her dreams. ;)

10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Wowsers! My whole image of you has changed. I thought you drove a Stingray.

Oh well, around here if you don't drive a pick-up you are looked upon with scorn and as a possible city slicker. YIPES!

PS. What's with all the beautiful girl pictures on your blogger comment? Mine doesn't quite measure up.

1:03:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

$100? That's highway robbery! Whoooo!

3:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links