Friday, December 02, 2005

Fra-gee-lay

We find ourselves wading into December. While that brings the deadline for harried shoppers to complete their tasks, it also brings a diversion in our busy lives. It marks the launch of the holiday specials. While these have gotten fairly bleak over the years there are still some worth watching.

I still love to watch the classics with a sense of nostalgia. Sitting with my parents and watching poor Charlie Brown drag home his ragged stick of a tree. Booing as the Grinch stripped the every last shred of Christmas trappings from Who-ville. Watching with horror along with Rudolph and Hermie as Yukon plummeted to his doom......you get the idea.

Over the years we saw the classics get reinvented and again some were good. The Muppets, a constant favourite of mine with their muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Christmas specials. While Alistair Sim is still the best Scrooge ever, Bill Murray did a fantastic job in Scrooged.

Amongst all the holiday specials and movies I have two top movies. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one favourite, but my all-time winner is A Christmas Story. I don't know if it's because it's like watching my own family at Christmas, or if it's the embittered mall Santa. Anyone who has seen it can't help but cheer Ralphie on in his quest for the Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock, and a thing which tells time. Not to mention that there are few males alive who have seen the movie who don't want one of those lamps. Hearing Jean M Shepherd narrate his genius was fantastic. If you've seen the movie and loved it as much as I have, you should seriously consider getting a hold of Jean's books. The movie itself was based on In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash, but the rest of his stuff is pure gold.

I won't puree the details of the fascinating man behind all of this, rather I will steer you to Flick Lives, a site put together by Jim Clavin. Thanks for all your hard work on the site Jim, if you loved making it as much as I loved perusing it I'm happy for you.

12 Comments:

Blogger sands of time said...

Oh i Love that movie with Ralphie and his brother.Poor boy when he takes his first shot and breaks his glasses.

10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

One of my all time favorites too! :)
Heading over to checkout the site. Thanks for the tip!
It's my blog birthday tomorrow. I'm 1 year old. Please stop by for a slice of cake. The party could sure use more clown nose!
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Oh...it is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. I never new it was based on a book. That book will definitely bee on my Christmas list.

Thanks for the great pictures.

12:58:00 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Can you believe I still haven't gotten around to watching National Lampoon's Christmas yet?

3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Minerva said...

Ok..I was just feeling sick, and now, I am feeling ignorant as well..*writing names of films down..*

Minerva

4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

I have to say my favourite Christmas specials are the Mad TV stop-motion (claymation) Rudolph knock-offs. Swearing, death and blood, all in good fun.
Sweeeeeeeeet.

4:36:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

I was just at Walmart (I think) and they had the lamp for sale, but it was scaled down a bit. I would have considered buying it for my wife, but I thought the life size-ness of the one in the movie was part of it's charm.

11:11:00 PM  
Blogger dan said...

i like to watch The Snowman.

4:57:00 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

"You're gonna shoot your eye out!!"

I love that movie.

8:01:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm sorry to say I don't have a particuarly special Xmas movie to watch, and of those listed I think the only one I've seen is the Grinch one lol

That's an interesting lamp though. Bet there's a few men out there that have changed their entire decor in their lounge area to make it 'go' lol

(Love your new wheels by the way, very spiffy and cool! Aren't those dealerships asses with what they'll pay you for your trade in? You just know they're goine to re-sell your last vehicle for at least a thousand!)

12:40:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Oh! Well, you should definately try snuggling up with _Polar Express_, perhaps a film worthy of the title "classic" . . . let me know.

10:16:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

my favorite holiday movie EVER

11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links