Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hangin around, nothing do to but frown



You know how they say you learn something every day? Well yesterday was the day I learned to hate Mondays good and proper. After fighting the snow and wind during a rather hairy drive in to work I find that our receptionist's Mom passed away just that very morning. Work being fun enough already with two bodies off on vacation we wee now down a third. As we all chipped in to cover the phones as best as possible the day rolled on unrelenting. Just after lunch, I get a distraught phone call from my Mom. My grandmother has been fighting a losing battle with cancer for quite some time and took a sudden downturn this morning. Her original plans were to head out there later this week and had her airline tickets all purchased and planned out. Efforts were made to reshuffle and a flight was found to get her out last night (early evening). Luckily I work around the corner from her so I was able to drive her home to help her get her stuff together. Along the way I was given the gift of a speeding ticket by an officer that really didn't seem as if she'd care if I was helping her Mom.

My freshly bitten tongue and I managed to get Mom all set up and we waited for Dad to get hoe from work so I could head out to the airport. The trip to and from the airport was relatively uneventful. A little slow given the snow at points but not too bad. Thanks to the ever helpful Jodster I managed to make the 45 minute trek back to my workplace to retrieve my car only to find upon my return home that the plow had packed a two foot mound of crusty joy at the foot of my driveway when all I really wanted was to go inside for a drink. I chipped, cursed and shoveled my way in to a nice warm house where I proceeded to have that drink and not sleep all night.

Yay Insomnia! Today should be nice and foggy, I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

If you're the praying type don't waste time on recovery wishes. Her comfort is all we're looking for one way or the other now. I'm off to find a nice soft place at work to try and nap at. I hope your Monday went at least a bit better than mine.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

sending comforts to you too!

what a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

remember to breath ...

9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sending good thoughts - hope today is a little easier for everyone.

1:25:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

2:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry you had a bad day.It always seems once one thing bad happens then everything else seems to spiral after it.

3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

*hugs*
not sure I like this at all!
You are sounding more like MY blog ( a day in the life of Rowan) than Rainy's! Are u sure its you in there? Well everyone is entitled to a bad week now and again....or two or three even!

4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Oh wow. I hope your Tuesday was better. :)

Praying for your family.

5:09:00 PM  
Blogger jeanie said...

Beware the Ides of February. If I was the praying type, it would be for your family and your mum.

I hope its a better Wednesday from here.

6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Celti said...

*huge, warm hugs*

10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Sorry to learn you had a miserable start to the week. Just hoping things are at least on an even keel by now. Wishing you nothing but good thoughts and vibes.

11:45:00 AM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

Awwww.... I am sorry to hear that your Monday was so shitty.

Muah from Dutchyland!

6:58:00 AM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

My nephew left for Florida on Friday morning. I was worried his flight would be canceled. The real irony is that he prays for snow days when he is in school. He would have had one on Friday, if he had been in school. Life is like that, plays little jokes on us just to keep us from thinking we have any real control over anything. :)

Only my Mom and her brother are left of the older generation in my family. Some of them I miss and some I don't think of very often. Death is part of life and it's only those of us who are left that realize someone is gone. I never wanted to look at the body though, when we had viewings. It was kind of creepy cause I feel there is nothing there at that point, just a carrying case.

I'm going to shut up now cause (even though it's well meant) god knows what you will think if you actually read this. :)

2:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links