Monday, April 23, 2007

interrogation



1.If you could have dinner with ANYONE, living or dead, who would it be and why?

I think I would have to go with my grandfather. Actually a better choice would be my grandfathers. I never had a chance to know them as I was growing up. My grandfather from my Dad's side passed away when my dad was young so I never got a chance to meet him. My Grandfather from Mom's side passed away when I was very young so I never really knew him as I would have liked either. Geography was never my ally in this respect so I didn't get the chance to spend time with him much.

I've heard so much about them and have been told repeatedly that I would have liked/gotten along with both of them. To be able to ask them questions about life and all, as well as being able to explore the past through their eyes would be a magical gift for me. Anyone can pick up a book and read about yesterday but until you know what people were thinking and had to cope with at the time you really never know history. What were their dreams and hopes for their children and the future? What did they value and know about the world at large? As I grow and learn more myself I am more enthralled with this and unfortunately will never really know. What time and fate took away will always be longer for.

2. What's your favorite breakfast food?

I am a freak for omelets. Stuff them with all manner of strange and wonderful things and you've got a recipe for culinary mayhem that your mouth will adore. Sure you can do the tried and true and stick to cheese, or veggies, but I've broken with the usual and had some pleasing results. Leftover chicken wings shredded up and distributed in an omelet is a spectacular start to the day. I've had beef, roasted veggies, the possibilities are simply endless. A word of warning would be that whilst an omelet is capable of housing most anything I wouldn't recommend combining it with other breakfast items. A honey nut cheerio omelet is just as wretched as it sounds.....trust me on this one.


3. Don't you think beer smells bad?

What kind of silly question is that? A landfills smells bad. One of my work boots after a long workday smells bad. Beer has a wonderful aroma to me. There's nothing like sitting around and comparing the various smells of differing styles of beer. Only bad beer smells bad......like beer that has been left in the sun too long. Or your grandfather's beer, and I don't mean his brand. I am talking about that dusty old case of stubbies you found in his workshop after the funeral. Wine ages well.....beer not so much.


4. Do your kids know how weird you are?

Since my daughter is prone to saying "Daddy, you're craazzeeee!' Quite a bit I think it's likely she's catching on. That and the little guy laughs in an alarmingly manic fashion when he sees me jump out from around a corner, so I'd go with yes. They aren't old enough to be embarrassed yet, but it'll come.


5. Seriously now. What's your favorite thing about being a dad?

I'd have to go with the cuddling (yeah I'm a big softy....what's your point?). There's nothing better than the feeling of a tiny body snuggled up against you knowing it will protect it and keep it safe. I miss this as the kids grow up but when they get really tired sometimes I can relive it a little bit. Sooner or later they won't want to anymore and I'll have to be fine with that, but there will always be a little part of me longing for those stolen moments.

I would also have to go with the laughter. Sure the house can get a little crazy sometimes and the noise can be pretty excessive but there is no greater sound than the peals of little laughter tearing across the house. I don't care who you are, when you hear little kids laugh you can't help but feel a smlie try to sneak across your face. My advice is to let it roll!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These answers are great. Of course, also being a big softie, I like the last one best!

2:40:00 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

arg! But there what??? :)

7:16:00 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Stupid blogger. I patched it back up!

8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Brown said...

My nephew is a big guy, all of 11 now. I remember when he liked a cuddle or a little tickle. I really remember the last time he asked me for a hug and I'm sentimental for it. But, he still likes to lean against me when we are sitting together. Cuddling is not quite allowed but he likes to body slam me when I walk through the door. I know it's all part of cuddling, the 11 year old boy version. My sister gets mad at him but I just try not to fall down and understand I've just been cuddled. lol

12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

But what's the best thing about being bearded?

5:55:00 PM  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

Those are great insights into you. And I completely agree...only bad beer smells bad. A good beer's aroma is what pulls you into that first long swig! I'm a beer snob. Thanks for the well wishes too.

11:07:00 PM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

Kids should know how weird their parents are... We should not shield them from the way the world works...

Embarrasment will be there in a jiffy... Before you know it ;-)

5:16:00 AM  
Blogger wondy woman said...

Cool answers, Pete - I love the one about your kids knowing your crazy - they are so, so lucky to have a father like you!

7:47:00 AM  
Blogger The Exception said...

I love the cuddles too. I am not looking forward to the day my daughter doesn't naturally hold my hand. She is seven; it will happen, but I hope it will be a few more years.

1:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links