Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Melodic Mayhem


When pressed for something to do of an evening when I was in college, a few of us would decide to go about the city and distribute pain wholesale. No we weren't responsible for random beatings, though our victims would likely prefer that to the actual occurrence.

Several locations in town had spent money on karaoke machines and we felt it our duty to defile them all. We would embark on our nightly mission and begin at one end of city, not stopping until we found a place that was suitably slow so that we could capitalize the machine. Since we knew we couldn't sing we had fun with the whole process.

Through our travels we ended up finding a bowling alley, of all places, that was perfect for our band of merry morons. Our favourite feature was "karaoke Russian roulette". You would get up in front of the crowd, and the DJ would randomly pick a song from his repertoire. Many a large and macho man has been caught singing fluffy love songs or similar tunes proclaiming his womanhood with pride.

We used to follow the screen as far as was entertaining and then make up our own lyrics. Once we had finished our barrage we would cheer and clap and root for the worst singers of the night as the bar gave the "winner" a free pitcher of beer. What better prize for some drunken fool trying to launch their music career than more booze. After all, we all sound better after a few drinks don't we. I know that after a few rounds I can put Barry Manilow to shame singing Copa Cabana!

I was actually told I had a voice like an angel by one drunken girl at the bar one night. I still think she meant the angel of death, but you never know. She may have just got her new hearing aid and was just thrilled to hear again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That is too funny! I would've loved to see/hear it! :)

I was recently introduced to karaoke for the first time at the age of 35. Me and about 7 or 8 girls from work sang "I Will Survive".

We were excellent!!! (Of course, we were all drunk too so that probably had a lot to do with it...;)

9:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"karaoke Russian roulette" too funny. It's sounds like fun but I've never done it.
blue2go

9:23:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! You should do a sound clip and leave it on your blog for us.

9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i've done karoke a few times, thats enough for me, now i steer clear - i'm older and wiser to know how rubbish my voice is...lol

:0)

10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I'm too chicken to try something like that. Upside is that I can sit around and criticize everyone else. Downside...I miss out on much of the fun.

11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

My ex-BF always did the heavy-metal version of songs. Even songs that weren't metal. He was a shit singer but damn funny. :)

11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Oh, how I would have loved to have been in the audience when you sang...

I can't sing well, but I heckle with the best of them!! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm going to link yours if that's OK!

1:41:00 PM  
Blogger jon said...

Take a tape recorder sometime or try to sit through a karaoke session sober. It's actually astonishing how bad it gets. But I do give people credit for getting up there.

3:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links