Monday, May 02, 2005

Yes Dear!

Yes Dear



How often do you pretend to care. It's not that we don' t love or worship our spouses but occasionally they can go on about things that don't really matter to us. There isn't a married person out there who can't be caught saying "yes dear" or just nodding along to the conversation. I know this is a two way street and expect the same in return from time to time.

My Wife and I have an honest and open line of communication that frightens the hell out of some people. They are amazed at the things I will say and tell me that if she were here I wouldn't say that. Those that know Rainy Pete know this to be a calamitous assumption. One who assumes I wouldn't say something is one whose jaw will likely collect a great many bruises from the floor over the time of their acquaintance with me.

The wife is as sarcastic and loving as I am and we have a great time together. She doesn't like to hear things that are contradictory to her line of thought though, and when caught in a direction unsanctioned by her she likes to say in her most droll and insincere way "yes dear". It's actually kind of funny and gives me a chuckle most of the time. One one special occasion, though, it caused me to nearly regret not carrying spare shorts.

We were in the grocery store and talking about something that has long since drifted off into the vast abyss of my mind. Politics, the state of our house, what brand of cake to buy, they are all treated with the same reckless abandon in our home. I had made a comment that triggered the infamous "yes dear" at a time when a lady as twisted as myself walked past. She simply turned her head, while still traveling along, and said "Well that sounded sincere!".

My poor wife stopped dead in her tracks while I attracted the attention of pretty much everyone in the store by laughing my fool head off. Those that know her can attest to the fact that she isn't terribly fond of getting zinged at the best of times. To have been verbally bitch-slapped by a random stranger just made all that more entertaining.

It just goes to show you that you should always be careful what you say. You never know what bystanders will react to. As a friend of mine says, a closed mouth gathers no foot. I prefer to take another path myself.

When you talk as much as I do you learn to carry seasoning packets at all times so you can make your words taste that much better when it's eating time. It's nice to be able to offer one to someone else.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That was good. I never thought of it that way before because (I swear this is true)...I can see me and The Peanut King doing that very same thing in the grocery store.

Thanks for the heads up...:)

9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

:) Hee hee!

7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

The two of you sound like my husband and me. LOL

10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Oh, we so can relate!!

12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Hey! Wait a minute! Are you telling me that my husband isn't listening to me all the time? He's pretending to listen when he says "Yes, dear". Well, this is certainly worth looking into...

10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

People had nothing better to doFree Hit Counters times to so far
free web site hit counter


links